Abandon RVSkin for X3 as our default theme?

Started by Jason, December 09, 2008, 11:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you have any complaints if we made X3 our cPanel default theme?

No, compatibility and functionality is priority 1
4 (100%)
Yes, I like using RVSkin and prefer it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: January 08, 2009, 11:09:55 AM

Jason

We currently use RVSkin as our cPanel default theme across all servers.  It has a nice clustering system (when it works) for sharing settings and it is customizable, has nice color choices, etc. 

Lately we've seen some issues with it when it gets "out of sync" with cPanel -- that's the best way I can describe it.  Clearly we can fix these issues but they become an annoyance and most recently have prevented many customers from being able to access their cpanel and webmail pages without being switched first.

RVSkin is also purchased/licensed yearly per server.

In the course of looking at this recently I started playing around with X3 which is cPanel's latest included theme set.  They've recently added a lot more looks and color schemes for it and it's made/supported specifically by the cPanel team which means it should always be fully compatible with all features cpanel supports and optimized to work fast with their code.

So my question to you is, would anyone complain if I switched everyone on all servers over to x3 as our default?  You would still have multiple colors and layouts available as part of what x3 includes but RVSkin would not be renewed by server for future years.  My logic is that this would prevent a lot of these simple, reoccurring issues that many are experiencing from happening going forward.

Thoughts?

(Our video tutorials on the site are rvskin versions so I'd have to repurchase those but the functionality doesn't change - just the page appearances)

Mark

I'm all for taking the easy road. If the default theme is easier for you to maintain as it's updated alongside cPanel then do it. I myself do not have preference.

Also, for the videos, is there some sort of license agreement that says you have to use the RVSkin theme? Or were you just thinking if they matched it would be better? I'm not experienced in the support area of hosting, but I would imagine that as long as the wording is the same in both themes (both have the same basic layout too as far as the icons go on the main cPanel page) then would it be necessary to spend more money on the same tutorials just so the theme can match?

Jason

Quote from: Mark on December 09, 2008, 11:26:47 AM
Also, for the videos, is there some sort of license agreement that says you have to use the RVSkin theme? Or were you just thinking if they matched it would be better? I'm not experienced in the support area of hosting, but I would imagine that as long as the wording is the same in both themes (both have the same basic layout too as far as the icons go on the main cPanel page) then would it be necessary to spend more money on the same tutorials just so the theme can match?

It's mainly a matter of wanting the themes in the videos to match what customers see on their end as much as possible.  Generally the wording is going to be very similar but the icons would be different.  I'll go through them at some point and see.  The demo makers I've used are typically pretty good about working with changes like this so I probably wouldn't have to pay full price again.  I think it's only the first set of videos under "General Tasks" that would need to be replaced.

Mark

Jason

(And directing people to a video for the easier tasks can save a lot of time, believe me!)

Steve

compatibility and functionality is priority 1

Jason

I've set all accounts on all servers to use X3 by default.

If you find your bookmarks don't work for cpanel, please remember to use the following format (substituting for your domain name):

www.yourwebsite.com/cpanel

Thanks

Jason

I've purchased and installed new tutorials (to replace the rvskin ones) here:

http://charlottezweb.com/tutorials.php

They now reflect the X3 skin instead of rvskin.

Enjoy

Steve

SSH/Shell Access was not allowed before..do i remember right?

Jason

It's not enabled by default.  Only by special request.

Steve

Jason

The icon is there but the page it takes you to is missing the login section. 

Steve

SSH Keys
Create a New Key

Generate a new Key 
Import Key 

I have access to create and Import SSH Key.

Jason

Right, but that won't get you anywhere if the server won't let your account connect.  :)

If I activated it and you looked at that page, you'd have more options visible.

Here's what you'd see if it was fully enabled  (see attachment)

Steve