Updated: eNom sending domain reminders - February 1, 2015

Started by Jason, February 01, 2015, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Update 2/2/2015 - eNom has approved our request for exemption so these alerts from them should cease as of today.

Thank you,
Jason

----

For customers who have domain names registered through Charlottezweb, our provider (eNom) has started a new procedure of sending its own domain expiration reminders effective today.   This is part of a requirement recently added by ICANN.

In 2013, ICANN made several changes to the RAA that impacted the process for how we handle domain renewals. To ensure we maintain compliance, we will be making changes to our renewal process that will impact all resellers in our network.

Starting February 1, 2015, eNom will begin sending out domain renewal notices to all domain name registrants on behalf of resellers.

What this means is that starting today, domain customers will receive emails that show as being sent by "Charlottezweb LLC" from my address however they are actually coming from:  postmaster@name-services.com (eNom). 

Our billing system will continue to send the same renewal notices it always has as well. 

There's an opt-out option that I've been pursuing to get eNom to not send these duplicate notices which is in progress.  Our Billing (Client Area) software company is working on an update that will have the compliance requirements built in.  Until that time, you may receive messages like this:

Dear Customer Name:

We just wanted to let you know that yourdomain.com will expire on 02/18/2015.
To renew this domain, please visit https://www.charlottezweb.com/clients/clientarea.php today.

If you do not renew your domain by 02/18/2015 you will no longer own the domain, and it will be available for registration by other parties.

Sincerely,
Charlottezweb.com, LLC

I'm not a fan of the wording but I don't have the ability to edit the template.

This is their required notification schedule:

• Two alerts to be sent between 26 and 35 days before expiration
  • One alert to be sent between 4 and 10 days prior to expiration
  • One last notice must be sent within 5 days post domain expiration

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.  I'll update this post with further information as I work to get these disabled.

Thank you,
Jason

Jason

Update - eNom has approved our request for exemption so these alerts from them should cease as of today.

Thank you,
Jason