Site Statistics

Started by Mishenka, February 08, 2007, 03:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishenka

Guess I'm the newbie here, so hi everyone!

do i need to access AWstats through somewhere other than Cpanel? cuz I don' see it there lol  :D

what about urchin(sp?)? i dont know what that one is like yet, which one is better to use?

Mark

You access AW-Stats through Cpanel. At the bottom of the page there's a section called "Statistics", within there is a link to "Stats Configuration" you may need to make sure that AW-Stats is enabled. I think it's disabled by default, hence why you can't find it.  Webalizer Web Stats is the one that is enabled by default.

As for Urchin, that is a very pretty and extremely detailed stats program. I personally like it, but the only draw back is because it's so detailed and has so many features it takes up a good chunk of space. So if you are on a lower hosting plan with little space to spare I'd advise against using that one. But if you are curious, you could always temporarily enable it and check it out, then disable and delete the files when you are done. :)

Mishenka

Mark

No problem, questions on anything else, feel free to ask. And welcome aboard. :)

Mishenka

does it take a full day's worth of stats before it shows in my cpanel? or how does that work?

i check urchin, just to check it out, but when i open it, it says "Content-Type: text/html Unable to get profile id from configuration database" , same prob? not enough stats yet? it's only been a day or so.

Mark

Umm, honestly, I'm not sure. It probably rebuilds at a certain time of day or week even, I don't remember Urchin being live stats. I had Urchin and AWStats disabled on my account too, and I just enabled them and I get the same problem so I'm pretty sure it takes a day or two to collect and publish stats for you.

The only one that has up to the hour I believe is Webalizer.

Mishenka

cool, thanks for the info!

Mishenka

I tried urchin, definatly cool, but takes up wayyyyyyyyyy to much room

well, still no awstats in my cpanel  ??? oh well, maybe tomorrow

Jason

AWStats was disabled across all servers awhile back (there's a forum post somewhere around here) so I'm not sure why the option to "enable" it shows up -- it shouldn't.

Webalizer is basically the same thing (with better detail) so it doesn't make sense for the server to parse the same logs twice daily for both to work.

Urchin and Webalizer are the available choices.  Webalizer is enabled by default but you have to enable Urchin as KP described above.  The logs run once daily so you may have to wait up to 24 hrs before it works for you.  If it doesn't after that, let me know.

Mark

Ah, AWStats is disabled? Guess I missed that post. Oops. :P

Mishenka

if I enable Urchin,

can I "clean" out the files each month?

which files/folder do I delete? I don't wanna mess anything up  :-\

Jason

All urchin files are within /tmp/urchin

Mark

And yes, you can safetly delete them.

Mishenka

can I just disable all of them, and install AWstats on my own? or am I just not allowed to have it?
I just liked being able to see all the info, not just the last 30 of 400 URLs, etc, which I can't do with webalizer,
Urchin takes up way to much room, I'm actually afraid to leave it on for a week, it may use up all my space LOL

Jason

Quote from: Mishenka on February 13, 2007, 12:49:23 PM
can I just disable all of them, and install AWstats on my own? or am I just not allowed to have it?
Yes, you can disable all of them if you want.  I've never tried installing it to an individual account but it looks like it might be doable.  If you want to pursue this, shoot me an email and I'll find out for sure. 

http://www.awstats.org/

I just liked being able to see all the info, not just the last 30 of 400 URLs, etc, which I can't do with webalizer,
Are you referring to referrals?  I can see 250 in webalizer myself.

Urchin takes up way to much room, I'm actually afraid to leave it on for a week, it may use up all my space LOL
It definitely caused some problems for some customers a year or so back but is usually fine.  I have lots of people using it without problems but for very busy sites it can generate large logfiles.