Mobile broadband/email question

Started by Richard, April 13, 2012, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Can anyone help please?

I live in the UK.

I started using a 3 Mifi about three months ago. Generally works well (cannot get land line Broadband here).  This is the unit:

http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi

When I first got it, I had to change my outgoing POP server to 3's: smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

Recently (over the last few weeks) we keep getting errors when trying to send emails. Typically, we get 451 qq temporary error. A restart on the Mifi sorts it out.

I use a PC on Vista, using Outlook. My wife also uses a PC on Vista, using Thunderbird. We both get the error (although she gets a different number to my 451).

I have called 3. They did that thing where they take control of your mouse and the guy had a click around. He was convinced that it was an error with my POP box settings. He wouldn't listen to me saying:

1/ restart the Mifi, error goes away.
2/ by wife gets the error on a different PC.
3/ always seems to be a problem before 1pm, never after.

He stated that it was NOT a 3 network issue.

My POP settings are:

Manual Settings
Mail Server Username: mailbox+(domain name).com
Incoming Mail Server: mail.(domain name).com
Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) monsoon.charlottezweb.com
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.(domain name).com (server requires authentication) port 26
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) monsoon.charlottezweb.com (server requires authentication) port 465
Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

This always worked on the landline but when going to 3, it didn't. A Google of the problem gave me answers like this one:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/3...

and so I went to:

smtp server = smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
Port Number = 25 (default)
No authentication required
No secure connection required

which works most of the time, but not all.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

Jason

Before I get into the settings, do you run Norton by chance?

I just saw this:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/451-qq-temporary-problem-4-3-0/td-p/688535

What's interesting to me is if you are using their mailserver for smtp and it works sometimes but not all, then I'd lean towards the issue being on their end. 

Richard

Thanks for the reply.

No, not Norton.  I use AVG Free and my wife doesn't use anything.

I found suggestions on the internet that it was some sort of spam block, but I cannot find a definitive answer....

Jason

Quote from: Richard on April 13, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
I found suggestions on the internet that it was some sort of spam block, but I cannot find a definitive answer....

If it stops and starts for both machines (which are running different software) and restarting the mifi resolves, it sounds to me like the issue is either on their end OR perhaps your IP is being blocked and restarting their mifi is resetting your connection and giving you a new IP address.  The latter idea would make sense assuming all computers stop working at the same time.  If that happens and you also can't reach your website, you may be getting blocked by the server itself.