Computer Restoration Advice Wanted

Started by Garrett, December 06, 2014, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

In October my old computer died and in November I got a new computer (Late 2014 Apple MacMini with the 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, and 500GB.) My old computer was collecting dust and I've almost tripped over it several times (it is located in my bedroom) and I'd like to sell it to make a profit ($$$.) Problem is is the hard drive failed.

A teacher at my school had a bunch of old hard drives she needed to get rid of. They're all old SATA Western Digital 40GB hard drives. The old failed hard drive was a 1TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive.

The only problem I have now is figuring out what OS to run on the machine. I want something light to run on it (so it doesn't hog up space on the 40GB hard drive) but also easy to install (I will have to transfer the OS files from my MacMini to a USB jump-drive, then to the old computer.) I'd also like to have an OS that will let the buyer to take advantage of the multi-media ports on the front of the computer, such as the various card readers (CF, SD, and MicroSD.) Since I don't want to pay anything for the OS, my only choices (I'm assuming) is a Linux-based OS. I like the Ubuntu flavor of Linux, but I'm not sure if that is what I should use. Any recommendations?

Also - if you know someone who may be interested in this machine (or if you're interested in it) - feel free to send me a PM. Right now I'm asking $125-$150 for it. It's a 2010 Asus "Essentio" series desktop model. It has 4GB of RAM, a 2.7GHz Intel Pentium Processor, and a 40GB Hard Drive. It is a really nice, sturdy-built machine. I must add that if you're interested you will need to also pay shipping.
Owner and Operator, Garrett's Websites

Jason

A few thoughts if you want my *honest* opinion:

40gb isn't feasible unless you only want the pc for web-based work -- web browsing, webmail, office 365, etc. 

If you're looking to sell it, a Linux option probably isn't very user-friendly for most people.  For those tech-savvy enough to want to use a linux option, they probably wouldn't want a 40gb drive or a  processor that old.

For a sales price, I would imagine a 40gb drive with 4gb RAM and that processor to be an under $50 investment if that.  There are too many cheap options (chromebooks, etc) that  would perform better at a better cost ratio.  Newegg and Woot often sell refurb corporate discards for under $100.

I unfortunately have recycled or donated  probably 8+ computers and laptops over the years because the resale value doesn't exist unless you have something new and powerful.

That being said, maybe you can fix it up and find someone local who could use it where it would be worth the cost.  Good luck!

Mark

I'm with Jason on this one, with those specs and the very small hard drive it'd be best to recycle or donate it. I too have recycled and donated many computers, at least 40-50 (my main job is IT related). With how fast technology moves, it's just how it is.

Garrett

Quote from: Jason on December 08, 2014, 08:24:39 PM
A few thoughts if you want my *honest* opinion:

40gb isn't feasible unless you only want the pc for web-based work -- web browsing, webmail, office 365, etc. 

If you're looking to sell it, a Linux option probably isn't very user-friendly for most people.  For those tech-savvy enough to want to use a linux option, they probably wouldn't want a 40gb drive or a  processor that old.

For a sales price, I would imagine a 40gb drive with 4gb RAM and that processor to be an under $50 investment if that.  There are too many cheap options (chromebooks, etc) that  would perform better at a better cost ratio.  Newegg and Woot often sell refurb corporate discards for under $100.

I unfortunately have recycled or donated  probably 8+ computers and laptops over the years because the resale value doesn't exist unless you have something new and powerful.

That being said, maybe you can fix it up and find someone local who could use it where it would be worth the cost.  Good luck!

Understood. I was kind of iffy on accepting 40GB drives (for obvious reasons) but that is all that teacher had and she needed to get rid of them...

I'm installing Linux Mint on it... or trying to. For some odd reason it won't boot off the USB jump drive (I've configured it in BIOS already and ran the Mint image file through Unetbootin on my Mac) but the computer just keeps re-starting itself... strange.
Owner and Operator, Garrett's Websites