Fall 2016 - Server Upgrades / Retirements

Started by Jason, September 01, 2016, 05:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

As of about 15 minutes ago, servers Avalanche and Sandstorm have been retired per the posted schedule.

Regards,
Jason

Jason

The following post will be emailed to all customers with a hosting account on Blackice within the next 15 minutes:
------------------

Greetings from Charlottezweb,

This email is being sent to customers who have at least one hosting account and/or domain name pointed to server "Blackice."

Per our previous emails, Blackice is the final server being migrated as part of the announcement and schedule below:

- Avalanche  (The weekends of September 16,17,18 and September 30-Oct 1,2)   *Server shut down on October 5*
- Sandstorm  (The weekends of September 16,17,18 and September 30-Oct 1,2)   *Server shut down on October 5*

- Blackice  (The weekend of October 21, 22,23)  *Server shut down on November 2*

We will be starting the migration process for server Blackice tomorrow morning -- October 18, 2016.  All sites on this server will be migrated for initial testing. 

The way this process works is that we:

1. Transfer all sites in scope to the new server.
2. Test all sites on the new server to troubleshoot any obvious issues.
3. Schedule a final synchronization that copies over any data that has changed since the initial transfer.
4. Update DNS to redirect traffic from the old server to the new server.
5. Customers update their nameservers on their domains.

Step 1 above will occur tomorrow -- October 18, 2016.  I will plan to test accounts over the coming days.  Based on our findings, the current plan is to complete steps 3 and 4 on Saturday evening -- October 22, 2016.

When we do the final sync -- If you have a forum, I will put your forum into maintenance mode on the old server (Blackice) just prior to the final sync and I'll turn off maintenance mode on the new server (Lightning).  Please do not turn off maintenance mode if you see it as this is how you'll know you're seeing the old server.

I'll email everyone after steps 3 and 4 are complete so you can update your nameservers.  Please note that this will need to be completed before November 2nd when we will be shutting the old server down. 

If you have any questions specific to your site, please reply to me, open a Support Ticket or feel free to reply in this forum thread.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jason

Jason

A reminder email has been sent to all customers on Blackice:
------------------------------------------------------------

This email is being sent as a reminder to customers who have at least one hosting account and/or domain name on server "Blackice."

Per our previous emails, Blackice is our final server to be migrated as part of the announcement and schedule below:

http://www.charlottezweb.com/forums/index.php?topic=2089

- Blackice  (The weekend of October 21, 22,23)  *Server shut down on November 2*

We will be completing the final steps of the migration tomorrow evening (Saturday, October 22) at approximately 9pm Eastern.

Before we do the final sync -- If you have a forum, I will put your forum into maintenance mode on the old server (Blackice) and I'll turn off maintenance mode on the new server (Lightning).  Please do not turn off maintenance mode if you see it as this is how you'll know you're seeing the old server.

I'll email everyone again once this work is completed tomorrow night so you can update your nameservers.  Please note that this will need to be completed before November 2nd when we will be shutting the old server down. 

If you have any questions specific to your site, please reply to me, open a Support Ticket or feel free to reply in the forum thread above.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jason

Jason

This will be emailed to all customers on server "Blackice" within the next 15 minutes.
----------------------------

The final data-sync of your sites from Blackice to our new server Lightning has completed and traffic has been redirected from the old to the new.

Please check your sites when possible and let me know if you find any issues.  I"m going to go through them now for an initial test but there may be features/functions I don't notice.  If you encounter any issues, please email me or open a support ticket.

IMPORTANT:  If you have your domain names registered external to Charlottezweb, you will need to update your nameservers as quickly as possible -- ideally within the next 2-3 days.  If your domain(s) are registered through Charlottezweb, I will make these changes for you.

If you were using Blackice's nameservers:  (ns11.charlottezweb.com and ns12.charlottezweb.com), you will need to change them to these:

ns13.charlottezweb.com
ns14.charlottezweb.com

If you don't make these changes, your sites and services may go offline when Blackice is retired on November 2.  Please contact me if you have any questions.

I hope everyone enjoys the new server!

Cheers,
Jason

Jason

...additionally, if you have an SMF forum:  I have put your forum in maintenance mode on the old server and it's off (live) on the new server.  If you're seeing maintenance mode, you're likely still hitting the old server.  Please do not turn off maintanence mode as that may result in people posting on the old server which won't carryover to the new.

Please email me or open a ticket if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Regards,
Jason

Jason

I just sent the following email to the remaining customers with nameservers pointed to Blackice
---------------

If you're receiving this email, it's because you have an account on server Blackice that will be retired on November 2.

I just checked and your domain is still pointed to Blackice which means your site(s) will go offline on November 2 when Blackice is shut down.

Please see the discussion thread on Charlottezweb or contact me as soon as possible for additional details.

http://www.charlottezweb.com/forums/index.php?topic=2089.msg8881#msg8881

Thank you!

Regards,
Jason

Jason

Reminder that server Blackice is scheduled to be shut down tonight.

I've sent the following email directly to customers that appear to be still directed towards Blackice's nameservers instead of the new server's.
----------

If you're receiving this email, it appears that your domain(s) may have not yet been updated to point to your new Charlottezweb server.

The old server (Blackice) is being shut down tonight.  At that time, your site and services (email) may go offline if you haven't made the change.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Jason

Jason

Blackice has been retired.

This concludes the migration/upgrade of servers Wildfire, Sandstorm, Avalanche, and Blackice that we started back in September.

Thank you everyone for your help throughout this process.

The new server is doing fantastic -- Hopefully you're seeing the increased speeds/performance.  :)

Cheers,
Jason

Richard

Hi Jason,

I pointed my DNS as requested, and my website is still up.  However, I cannot send email (so I'm having to post here instead). 

Could you help please?

Many thanks.

Jason

Quote from: Richard on November 04, 2016, 06:40:28 AM
Hi Jason,

I pointed my DNS as requested, and my website is still up.  However, I cannot send email (so I'm having to post here instead). 

Could you help please?

Many thanks.

I'm sending you a PM now.

Regards,
Jason

Richard

Quote from: Jason on November 04, 2016, 07:49:58 AM
Quote from: Richard on November 04, 2016, 06:40:28 AM
Hi Jason,

Could you help please?

Many thanks.

I'm sending you a PM now.

Regards,
Jason

Received, and now email works.  Thanks!

Jason