Google taking over planet, part 7

Started by Jason, November 14, 2005, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/111405_Google_Offers_Web_Analytics_for_Free.cfm

Google Offers Web Analytics for Free

November 14, 2005 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) --
Google's (google.com) hosted analytics service is now available free of charge, just seven months after the technology was acquired from Urchin, which offered the service for $495 per month.

Google Analytics, formerly known as Urchin from Google, is analytical and statistical software used to monitor and track the performance of Web pages. The data collected with the technology helps businesses improve their Web sites and enhance their online marketing campaigns.

Google Analytics is now completely integrated with the pay-per-click advertising service Adwords. Accessible through customers' Adwords accounts, Google Analytics comes in sixteen languages and now includes new reporting dashboards.

"We want to give all online marketers and publishers access to powerful Web analytics to help them better understand what their customers want," says Paul Muret, Urchin founder and now engineering director for Google. "With this knowledge, businesses can create more accurate advertising and build better Web sites."

Mark

Ah yes, see this is how Urchin should be... owned by Google, hosted by Google, and free by Google :P

I really liked it when it was on the CW servers but it took up to much space. This may be worth a try :)

Jason

Yes, I might look into this more at some point. 

It was more of a space issue with a few accounts and we're still waiting on the cpanel fix for it to hit stable.  Once that does, we'll reinstall ours -- unless it's outdated by something like this now :)

Jason

Well, I got my invite tonight for Google Analytics!  (almost 5 months later!!)

I'll try to set it up and see what the hype is about as soon as I get the chance.

As for running Urchin on our servers again...we're REALLY close.  Cpanel allows it now but our present skin lacks part of the functionality.  There's another thread around here about that, but I was told that would be fixed 2 weekends back so I need to go pester the developer again...  wish me luck!  :)

CountryLady

After reading about this here, I applied with Google, and was accepted recently, too.

I'm concerned that having to setup my MX record to them, it made me uneasy.
When people (me) are in the dark a lot, its easy to feel uneasy over anything,
so I don't know if there are any real concerns or not.

I'd planned to discuss this with you, so now it will be even easier to do that.

Please let us know what you think.  :)
Chance favors the prepared. Come join us at OurCountryHaven.

Jason

I haven't gotten that far yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.  :)

Mark

I got my invite yesterday too!!! But I don't know why you are having to mess with the MX records CountryLady. I didn't have to do this at all and I've already got my stats flowing in just fine.

Jason

Has anyone figured out where you can find referrals in it?  Did they include that functionality?

I'm all setup but my main use was always to see where my visitors where coming from click-wise.

Pretty good stuff, I might add.  That's an amazing tool.