easy way to tell what server you are on?

Started by weekend camper, October 30, 2007, 02:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekend camper

Hey.

Is there an existing easy way to figure out which of our domains is on which server?

If there isn't, I suggest a page in the customer cp that details that?

Jason

In the upper lefthand corner of cpanel, it will tell you the server name.

Jason

Quote from: weekend camper on October 30, 2007, 02:07:29 PM
If there isn't, I suggest a page in the customer cp that details that?

I've been thinking about this...

Even though it's in cpanel, I think this would be a good addition to the Client Area like you suggested.  I'll add that to my to-do list.

Jason

Thx.  I'll see about addressing this within the next week or two if possible.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on May 19, 2010, 07:26:20 PM
Thx.  I'll see about addressing this within the next week or two if possible.

Mini-update.  I'm partially there.  I've received some guidance on how to do it, and I have a placeholder field in the Client Area if you "View Details" for a hosting account under "My Hosting Packages."

I'm facing a coding issue but hope to have it fixed shortly.  (The system has a value and array for the server name but I've had some trouble coding it to display properly).

If you're a php guru and want to help me out, shoot me an email!  ;D

Thanks

akheir

Not a guru, but I usually find a way.  If you want to email the code...

Plan
Promote
Profit

Kheir Consulting
http://www.kheirconsulting.com

Jason

Quote from: akheir on June 12, 2010, 01:16:54 PM
Not a guru, but I usually find a way.  If you want to email the code...

Thanks!   I received another email about this already but if we don't sort it, I'll definitely take you up on it!

Jason

I'm pleased to report that Mark was able to figure out the syntax that I was missing to get this to work.   (Thanks again!)

You can now view your server name within your Client Area by click on "My Hosting Packages" and then clicking the "View Details" button on the far right of the specific account in question.  The "Server Name" for that account is now a line item below your domain name.

I'll check back through our templates and other pages to see if it makes sense to include it elsewhere (such as in sign-up emails.

If you have suggestions for where else to put it, let me know.  Thanks!

akheir

How about a link under support - "What's my server?" - Just enter the website address.
Plan
Promote
Profit

Kheir Consulting

Jason

Interesting.  I think this would need to be conditional based on being logged in -- in which case, maybe it could be more prominent in the Client Area instead?

I know you can find that sort of thing out if you really wanted to but I wonder if making it easily accessible is a unnecessary risk?

I like the idea though, something to consider.

akheir

Quote from: Jason on June 16, 2010, 07:24:34 PM
Interesting.  I think this would need to be conditional based on being logged in ...

Actually, that is kind of counter to what I was thinking.  If you are logged in, it is already in the client area.  If you aren't logged in, a quick check tells you what server it is.  A simple captcha should be reasonable for security as a simple IP ping would give the same information without the name.
Plan
Promote
Profit

Kheir Consulting

JPDeni

I think it would be a nifty thing to be added to the "new member" email. That's where all the other info is and we're supposed to save that email (assuming we don't have a crash and lose everything  ;) ), so it's a place that anyone could go back to if they wanted the information. If it wouldn't be too much hassle to add it to the script that generates that email, I think that would be a good thing.

Jason

Quote from: JPDeni on June 16, 2010, 08:17:32 PM
I think it would be a nifty thing to be added to the "new member" email. That's where all the other info is and we're supposed to save that email (assuming we don't have a crash and lose everything  ;) ), so it's a place that anyone could go back to if they wanted the information. If it wouldn't be too much hassle to add it to the script that generates that email, I think that would be a good thing.

Agreed, that's already on my to-do list.

Quote from: akheir on June 16, 2010, 08:16:12 PM
Actually, that is kind of counter to what I was thinking.  If you are logged in, it is already in the client area.  If you aren't logged in, a quick check tells you what server it is.  A simple captcha should be reasonable for security as a simple IP ping would give the same information without the name.

I see your point to an extent.  A ping wouldn't tell you that without more digging but you're right, it's not hard to find if you really want to know.

Point taken.  I'll add this to my list.

I'm behind on the current version anyway so I see a significant upgrade in the very near future.  I may add some custom coding into what we do so if you have more suggestions, let me know.  It's worth the money to pay for customizations if they prevent unnecessary support tickets.  :D