Eve Online Trinity Breaks PCs

Started by Mark, December 06, 2007, 03:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I don't know if any of you here play this game, but it would seem that CCP has royally screwed the pooch on their latest expansion.

It would seem that if you already had the game installed on a Windows XP machine, and then upgraded to the new expansion the upgrade goes ahead and (unknowingly to the user) deletes the boot.ini file. So, because you don't know this happened, when you go to restart your computer you get screwed. OUCH! :o

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183718.html

I haven't played this game since it came out. I gave it a try and never really got into it. And now I'm glad I didn't.

Jason

That's delightful.  Seems odd that the OS wouldn't protect a file like that more...

Do you have to be playing/installing it as a local admin for that to happen?

Mark

Quote from: Jason on December 06, 2007, 03:58:14 PMThat's delightful.  Seems odd that the OS wouldn't protect a file like that more...

I know right!? I've never understood that.

Quote from: Jason on December 06, 2007, 03:58:14 PMDo you have to be playing/installing it as a local admin for that to happen?

The article doesn't go into details about user permissions or anything like that. I just says when you upgrade.

Finner

I had a 'bad' shut down and lost my boot.ini file last year

Was not a fun fix
Can't remember how I fixed it now.
If I would not have had another computer nearby It would have taken forever to fix