BW excess charges

Started by Knu, February 04, 2006, 07:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WSA

I have it installed now.  Not exactly testing it but the users should be going there anytime now.
Western Slope Anglers - SMF 1.1 RC2 + Tiny Portal v0.8.6 +SMF Arcade + Xarcell's Custom WSA Fishing and Hunting Theme
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you'll never get another day's work out of him again.

Jason

Quote from: WSA on February 07, 2006, 07:47:53 PM
I have it installed now.  Not exactly testing it but the users should be going there anytime now.

Ah, cool!  Let me know how it goes.  If it gets busy and I'm around, I'll try to take a peek.

WSA

I have added 107 games and that is about 10mb so we shall see.
Western Slope Anglers - SMF 1.1 RC2 + Tiny Portal v0.8.6 +SMF Arcade + Xarcell's Custom WSA Fishing and Hunting Theme
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you'll never get another day's work out of him again.

Knu

WSA,

Do you know if this is mostly a problem when first entering the Arcade area, and the games table loads? A lot of DB queries take place then, but I don't it's anything like as bad at other times, but I could certainly wrong; I often am! ::)

If this is true though, the problem might alleviated by less games? I have rather a lot of games available, but only a small proportion have been made available to members. Might it be the case load would be less if I removed all the games I have not made available for play?

Maybe I should just try it out? ??? :)

WSA

Well, I am still new to this arcade thing so I don't really have much to off of yet.  You sound correct though.

DVR

any updates on how arcades effect your sites resources? all i can see is the space taken up by the game. but its not that much.

also the initial downloading of the game file to the users machine. bandwidth is just the size of the file. while being played nothing should effect the host site resource in a great way.

like jason pointed out to me the some games seems to keep score and that would be located on our host db. but thats not like its a great resource hog anymore then people posting messages on a forum.

well thats how i see it anyway from a software point of view. if anybody has the facts please pass them on.

where is the arcade mod or theme files to do this?

also, where do you guys pick up your games? are a lot of these free w/o ads? how do they make their money?

thanks for any info!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

WSA

I think the arcade feature is great.  Depending on how many games you have will determine how much space you will need.  They are all around 250 to 400k each in size with a few of them in the 1mb range.  You will probably need the bandwidth though to cover the games, especially if you have a lot.  I believe I have 106 games in total on my site.

I didn't want to bombard the server with everybody and their brother playing them so I made it available to only paid forum members.

I am somewhat of a retard when it comes to PHP coding.  Somewhat?  Who am I kidding.  I am a complete retard.  What I did was use some of my SMF resources to help me adjust all of the various .php files that needed to be changed.  It can't be done with the package manager at this time.  Mine works completely fine now though thanks to the help I received.

Go to smfarcade.net and you can find out quite a bit there.

DVR

ok thanks for the information!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

chilly

This could probably be another topic, but I've had the arcade running for about a month now, and it's pretty good.  My bandwidth seems to be alright.

On a side note, the fine folks at smfarcade.net finally released a solution to the fact that when you're using joomla 1.0.8 you could not submit a high score while the arcade was wrapped (in the forum which is wrapped).  I made the configuration changes yesterday at it works like a charm.

The Librarian

I've had the arcade installed since I upgraded to RC2 and moved to CW, Feb?

I had the arcade installed with TP initially and it all worked. 

Then I moved to joomla and it didnt lol  It has taken me a lot of work to get all the games working correctly but its all good now

I have the arcade switched off just now for a couple of reasons, not least because I am thinking about eeek's latest modification and maybe installing it BUT also when the arcade is installed all posting on the site STOPS.  So you might want to think about that before installing it.  Its a really cool feature and everyone loves it but some people just play over and over again and never post, and when I say never I mean, they turned up every day and never posted in over two weeks.

We didnt give access to everyone as we were still testing it out, and these were meant to be our more active members, so our Mb just died during that time.  Other members were getting annoyed as they were on the site with at least 12 other members but everyone was in the arcade and there was no one to talk to  >:(

This has been going on since Feb, we hoped the novelty would wear off but it didnt.

I did notice at the beg of this month that my bandwidth jumped A LOT and I contacted Jason about it, I also asked over on the arcade forum

I got this from the smfarcade site:

QuoteIt depends on the size of your games and how often they are dled...

For example if you have 20 2mb games... And all are played 200 times a month..

Then: 20*2*200= bandwidth used...

So, its all varied..

The arcade is switched off just now and the bandwidth has barely moved - a few 100 mb instead of 1000s mb in one week

LOL having said that I miss it too, and have 100s of games stored on my PC waiting to be loaded lol  I am not upgrading to joomla 1.0.8 as there are too many things I have that wont work anymore and it's taken me so long to get the arcade all working with 1.0.7 that I'm keeping it that way.  :D
The Librarian

Jason

Thanks for the post. I never really considered what the arcade would do to posting but it does make sense now that I think about it.