Transferring Forum and Website

Started by Hawk, February 16, 2006, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Jason,

Or anyone for that matter :)

I am shopping for hosting and have little experience (what I do have is not good).  I currently have a medical support forum at smfhost.com.  It was pretty good until switching hands.  I now picture the new owners as laying dead around their servers from Ebola Virus.  They don't respond to email, personal messages, or even embarrassing posts on the support forum, and members are being slammed with 403/404 "unauthorized" errors.  I also have a small website at godaddy that was made with a sitebuilder.  I almost made the mistake of moving my forum to godaddy but could tell I would be totally on my own if I did.

I would like to know if I can transfer my forum to here to CW, ( I may need some help since I have never moved a forum).  I would also like to move the website..  Would I have to rebuild the web site in FrontPage and publish it to CW?   I am also going to buy another domain (for name change reasons). 

I want a set it up so when someone goes to the website and clicks on " myforum" that the smf forum will show my domain in the browser address bar, not "www.myforum.charlottezweb.com"  I do not know if or how to accomplish this at CW

I am looking at the 4.99 entry level host package for now.

Thanks for any guidance you might have.

Jason

Hi Hawk,

I would definitely do it all off of one account if it was me.  It's likely cheaper and there isn't really a reason not to.

If you have the present website already built and have an ftp account there where you can backup your files, there shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't transfer those over "as-is" and not have to rebuild anything.  I'm assuming their sitebuilder isn't storing the files in some sort of database where relocating it would be an issue.  If you want to chat via PM to verify this, we can.

As for the domain name question, the example of www.myforum.charlottezweb.com is what many free hosts do with subdomains.  I don't offer that sort of setup here so you don't need to worry about that.  Your forum would be wherever you put it off of "www.yourdomain.com."

Does that help?

Regards,
Jason

Hawk

Well, let me just say that it gave me the first smile I have had in a week over anything related to hosting.   :) Thanks,  I will discuss a detail or two with you in PM.

Thanks again.

Jason

WSA

You won't regret a thing hawk.  Be prepared for many  more smiles. :)
Western Slope Anglers - SMF 1.1 RC2 + Tiny Portal v0.8.6 +SMF Arcade + Xarcell's Custom WSA Fishing and Hunting Theme
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you'll never get another day's work out of him again.