What would make you love Charlottezweb more?!

Started by Jason, April 22, 2009, 11:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What options (select up to 3) would make you happier with Charlottezweb as a service provider?

Pricing -- Your pricing is too high
0 (0%)
Specs -- You should offer more storage (mb)
3 (60%)
Specs -- You should offer more bandwidth/transfer
0 (0%)
Specs -- You should offer more of everything
0 (0%)
Contests/Giveaways -- Offer more contests and free hosting giveaways like the Summer Spectacular Giveaway 2008
1 (20%)
Affiliates/Referrals -- Increase the payouts for referrals to increase loyalty
0 (0%)
Reseller Accounts -- offer Reseller accounts
0 (0%)
Semi-dedicated -- create a semi-dedicated offering above Premium level that is cost-effective and includes MUCH more storage/transfer
2 (40%)
Site Builders -- More add-on solutions like site builders, etc...
0 (0%)
"Hosting Plus Package" -- Offer a hosting package that includes "x" hours of site edits/design/management per month
1 (20%)
Other ideas?  Please select and post in the thread.  THANKS!!
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 21, 2009, 11:39:07 PM

Jason

Greetings everyone --

As we all deal with the tougher economic times, I'd like to solicit your feedback on the types of things you'd like to see from your hosting provider.  What are we falling short of the competition on that would make people more inclined to sign up here?  What's preventing you from expanding your business here? 

I'd love to hear your feedback -- don't worry about my feelings -- speak your mind and let me know!  I may not be able to address every problem but I'll do my best to respond to every suggestion. 

Thanks,
Jason

akheir

- As an aside - sort of - I would not like to see site builders and hosting plus models.  These would actually be a negative. 

I have spent a lot of time and energy developing web clients away from these models, as they often give unrealistic outcomes for professional and/or customized sites.  The site builders are ok for hobbiests, but cause a lot of problems in later development, and are not suitable for the more complex client.  As for hosting plus, offering to resellers/affiliates might be a good addition, but as someone who refers people to Charlottezweb, it is a bit of a conflict of interest. :)

Just my two cents (Canadian - about 1.5 cents US). :)

Andy
Plan
Promote
Profit

Kheir Consulting
http://www.kheirconsulting.com

Jason

Quote from: akheir on April 23, 2009, 03:51:34 PM
- As an aside - sort of - I would not like to see site builders and hosting plus models.  These would actually be a negative. 

I have spent a lot of time and energy developing web clients away from these models, as they often give unrealistic outcomes for professional and/or customized sites.  The site builders are ok for hobbiests, but cause a lot of problems in later development, and are not suitable for the more complex client. 

Good feedback, thanks.  I'm curious as I've had potential customers ask for them in the past.  Fantastico offers some of them already and I'd like to stick with that but I wanted to throw a bunch of ideas out there to be proactive.  :)

As for hosting plus, offering to resellers/affiliates might be a good addition, but as someone who refers people to Charlottezweb, it is a bit of a conflict of interest. :)

Definitely an excellent point.  Given my workload I don't know if this is even doable nor would I want to take it on but I was mostly brainstorming.  I get plenty of requests to do code fixes, script upgrades, etc so I was curious to see if some people might be interested.  Your point is definitely well-taken though. 

Thanks!  This is the type of feedback I'm looking for.

Mark

I'd agree on the site builder being a bad idea. From what I've seen offered around the web, they are just outright terrible. WYSIWYG just isn't there yet. It has improved much in desktop applications but web based ones would probably be more of a headache for you then a good thing.

As for the rest of the items, I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not really sure. The plan I'm on with both my websites suit my needs already. The only thing I can think of is some sort of server based SPAM filter and/or virus scanner. Seeing as one of my websites is for a company I would benefit from this. We've got a virus scanner company wide so it would really just be a 2nd line of defense type of thing, but a SPAM filter would be really nice. I know there's SpamAssasin but I can't find a happy medium with that thing as it either blocks too little or too much. Maybe there's something out there that's easier to use or more automated?

Jason

Great feedback, thank you.

Spam is always going to be a hot topic.  I've heard mention of appliance-level options under dc consideration.  Perhaps that's something I can press if nothing else.

Thanks!

Steve

Specs -- You should offer more storage (mb) - Already voted

JPDeni

I'm perfectly happy with all of the services I get right now. Don't need any more server space or bandwidth. Don't want any scripts or other bells and whistles. I'm happy with the amount I pay.

The only thing that I wish I could improve is the amount of spam. It has really exploded of late and it's getting really annoying.

Maybe if you could advertise that Charlottezweb had the best spam-blocker available, it might bring in more people.

Jason

Thanks for your suggestions!

Out of curiosity:  Are you currently using Spam Assassin?  If so, are you seeing more spam lately in spite of that?

JPDeni

Yep. Using SpamAssassin. And I've got the threshold at 3 instead of the default 5.

I haven't been looking at the SpamAssassin "score" on the spam I've been getting, but I'll start doing that. I know that my husband hadn't picked up his email for about a week and there were more than 400 spam emails in there. I'm pretty sure that it's some new spammers' database that has picked up on my domain name and is sending out things to every possible permutation of username, along with that domain.

ETA: I just realized that I'd misread the SpamAssassin page. I thought that setting it at 3 would mean that anything at three or more would be deleted. It seems not. I've reset it to 5 so that may help.

Jason

We can continue this conversation via a ticket or email if you want but 3 should be more strict than 5. 

I'll have a look at that server to make sure it's running properly.  I get TONS of spam -- my email address is everywhere and has been in use for nearly a decade -- but with Spam Assassin subject rewriting and an outlook rule to immediately delete those, only about 2-3 a day actually make it into my inbox.

Finner

I'm am extremely happy with my hosting package!!!

Times are tight...

maybe a upgrade in disk space..

Gnax seems to be run by monkeys but I will repress that rant...

Great work J.... 

I honestly could not be happier with your hosting....

great price for your sublime dedication to service...

did I mention I hate this theme... hate where the log-out tab is

Jason

Thanks!

Quote from: Finner on April 30, 2009, 12:47:29 AM

In terms of the button order?  I can change that -- I ordered it so the "non-forum" buttons were last.

Finner

Quote from: Finner on April 30, 2009, 12:47:29 AM
I'm am extremely happy with my hosting package!!!

Times are tight...

maybe a upgrade in disk space..

Gnax seems to be run by monkeys but I will repress that rant...

Great work J.... 

I honestly could not be happier with your hosting....

great price for your sublime dedication to service...

I was a few beer in when I posted that...

I like the theme...

Just used to having the logout on the far left  :)

Any idea when smf 2.0 will be released to non charter members?

Jason

Quote from: Finner on May 01, 2009, 01:09:56 AM
Any idea when smf 2.0 will be released to non charter members?

You're not talking about 2.0 RC1 (which is available to the public) right?  That's the latest version Charter members have presently.

Steve

Why only 5 members have voted until now? Maybe it's better to announce the topic.