SMF on different host

Started by ybyap, February 09, 2006, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ybyap

Read good reviews about your site. I am not a programmer but I do have a question before I switch to Charlottezweb.

I host a website on godaddy.com. But our SMF forum always encounter problems every month, about few days each month! Call Godaddy's support but they doesn't provide any solution. I want ONLY SMF forum on Charlottezweb. Our forum URL is

http://www.music4j.com/smf/
or
http://forum.music4j.com

Is there any way when user click on the link and transfer to a new host with the same URL? What should I do?

Thanks.

Yap

Mark

Unless you get into HEAVY DNS editing, I don't think this is possible. One thing you could do, to keep it simple and if you must have your site on Godaddy and your forum with Charlottezweb, is to register a domain such as www.music4jforum.com use it with Charlottezweb and install your forum on that domain.

And to sum up SMF on CW, SMF runs very fast and problem free on Charlottezweb servers. Also Jason has his servers setup so that you can use ALL the features in SMF such as the spell checker :)

Finally, just curious, why wouldn't you want to just move your WHOLE site to Charlottezweb and not just the forum? Wouldn't it be easier to host it all in one place?

WSA

Godaddy offers poor to no support for db driven forums.  I was there for a day and a half and got my money back.  Charlottezweb would be the way for you to go.  Moving your whole site over and eliminating any hassles that the method you are thinking of would create would be the best option.

Western Slope Anglers - SMF 1.1 RC2 + Tiny Portal v0.8.6 +SMF Arcade + Xarcell's Custom WSA Fishing and Hunting Theme
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you'll never get another day's work out of him again.

Jason

Hi Yap,

Sorry for the slow response -- you caught me on a rare vacation and believe it or not, I have to drive 10 minutes to get to the internet.  They have long-distance blocked at the condo which I've never seen before.  What a mess.

Anyway, it's painful to get an email on my blackberry and have to wait several hours to respond :(

As was said above, it would be a little tricky, but as I understand it...it's possible.  As suggested, a separate url for the forum would be an easy solution, or to move the whole account.  It just depends on what you're needing to accomplish.

Hope that helps.

I apologize, but until I get back into town this weekend, my replies may be slow.

Regards,
Jason

Mark

Don't worry Jason, your dedicated clients have got your back, enjoy your vacation! :)

Jason

Quote from: Killer Possum on February 09, 2006, 06:21:31 PM
Don't worry Jason, your dedicated clients have got your back, enjoy your vacation! :)

I certainly appreciate it!

ybyap

Yes, enjoy your vacation. Let you know further on Monday.

Jason

Quote from: ybyap on February 10, 2006, 02:37:09 PM
Yes, enjoy your vacation. Let you know further on Monday.

Sounds good.

Cheers,
Jason