Great reminder on WordPress security

Started by Jason, June 29, 2016, 09:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm not endorsing this service but I wanted to re-post/link to an article that's a useful reminder for anyone using WordPress:

(I will say that I do use Wordfence as a plugin on all my WordPress sites and I think it's a fantastic plugin worth researching if you use Wordpress.  I'm in no way affilated with them but this has been one of the better plugins I've found in the past few years in terms of keeping your site secure and alerting you to new versions of your plugins, wordpress, themes, etc)

Please read the full article here:

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/06/interview-wordfence-senior-security-analyst/#comment-28864

Notable Quote:
What advice would you give to site owners who want to improve security?

I think it's been said many times but bears repeating: Make sure you have a good host, put preventative measures in place, like Wordfence and make sure you keep your site, plugins, themes, etc. up to date. Also, don't forget the back-end that you rarely see and forget about entirely – your hosting account and your FTP/SSH credentials. All of these passwords should be changed on a regular basis, just like your underwear. Another "biggest issue" I see with most site owners is log retention & review. Many never look at their logs; they rely on things like Google Analytics because they are only concerned about their traffic, but they should also be reviewing their logs regularly for signs of potential issues, malicious activity and threats.

Regards,
Jason