WordPress -- Why do I get "memory exhausted" error messages?

Started by Jason, September 17, 2011, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

This question seems to pop up from time to time and there's a pretty easy fix.

Starting about a year ago, I've noticed that some WordPress functions require a lot of memory for some reason.  For example, running a version upgrade, uploading photos, etc.   It's interesting because I've seen some instances of WordPress work perfectly whereas other instances on the same server return this error.  It's a bit odd. 

Nonetheless, the software is returning that error because it's eating through a LOT of memory when doing certain tasks.  Without getting into whether this is a problem with their code, there is a fix.

Attached to this post is a zip file.  Download it and extract the "php.ini" file within it.

This php.ini file will tell the server to override the server's standard memory settings to allow you more memory that WordPress is requiring. 

You will need to upload this file into every folder where that specific process is running.  For example, if you're trying to run an upgrade and getting the error, upload it to the wp-admin folder.  Typically the memory exhausted error message will tell you the folder where it's failing.  Upload a copy of this file there.  (You may have to have a copy of the file in multiple folders depending on the error message).

That should solve it.  :)