warning about SMF admin main page loading

Started by DVR, March 08, 2006, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVR

i wanted to share a problem im seeing and explain what the problem really is.

when you log in as admin on any theme and you see the server seem to hang and your pages arent created fast enough for you then what it most often really is doding is waiting for a connection and response to the actual smf .org forum site for information.

ive seen it take a long time and then when it never did comeback with a reply i see a sort of error message in that box. ive seen the different boxes display different things regarding this when it cant get the response fast enough.

so far this is the only page that ive seen this happen for but im sure there could be others within the admin area.

at first i thought it was my web host server, but soon realized after seeing it happen a few times and how it responded that it was the smf .org forum and not charlottezweb server.

they need to build in a quicker timeout message instead. this can confuse people into thinking they hosting server has a problem.

------------
its actually been happening to me today  serveral times. this last time i got a:  "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file." message after timing out.
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Mark

The only page you will get this on is the admin main page and the packages page. It grabs live news updates from the Simple Machines website. Unfortunately, lately the SM server has been acting up and running rather slow hence the slow loads, it's not usually like that at all.

DVR

they need to host on charlottezweb then imo!

or change the method, etc like a timeout, callback, or separate page etc. they clearly didnt think they were going to have problems with their own servers. thinking ahead is hard to do sometimes.
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

DVR

well, its time to edit that code out!

their site gets worse and worse. no way i can let that effect my site.

ill be looking for the timeout sequence and reducing it down to a minimum.