Hosting Plan Particulars

Started by Skhilled, January 26, 2006, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Hi,

I've heard good things about this service. However, I cannot find any information on ssl cert costs, extra space/bandwidth costs, transfer costs or extra fees in general. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Skhilled
Skhilled

Jason

Valid points :) 

They're not advertised anywhere (yet) to be honest with you.  It's typically been a on a case-by-case basis so far, but that certainly needs to change and will occur shortly.

The new ordering system (about 50% in place today) has the ability to list "add-ons" that the last didn't, so this should be viewable there soon.

To answer your question though, this is what I've been charging presently. 

Domain names

1)  Presently $15/year if you signup through the site.  However, that will be changing to $12 as soon as the new ordering system is updated -- by no later than this weekend.  Note:  Some tld's are more expensive due to regulations on them.  It's best to email me or post here if you have a specific one in mind.  Some also require a minimum 2 year registration so that may apply.

2) For design clients (which I define as clients who have sites that I've built and maintain), their yearly fee is $10 on domains since I'm generally doing more work throughout the year.  For new design clients who are also hosting with me, their intial domain fee is free.

SSL Certs

Charlottezweb will be happy to help you install any cert you want provided it's technically compatible (which should not be an issue).  In other words, you're free to pursue any provider you want to purchase the cert from.  I can give you my personal preferences if you'd like, but it's ultimatley your choice.  If you'd rather us handle it all for you, there is no extra added fees -- you'd just need to cover in advance whatever the cost the provider charges.

Extra Space

This one is not hammered down yet.  As you're probably aware, storage space is one of the  biggest limiting factors on a server.  Whereas there is room to increase other variables, extra space isn't as easy to come by.  I've handled this to date on a case-by-case situation.  If you're asking for double an account size and you're already on the highest package level, it's likely going to be close to the cost of ordering two similar packages.  I might be able to work out some discounting if there are custom needs.

Extra Transfer

My present rate has been $2/month/5 gigs.  So $2 additional per month per group of 5 gigs.   

If you wanted to raise your transfer allotment 15 gigs, you're looking at $6 extra per month.  If you have significantly larger needs, we can work out a better deal.  Shoot me an email if so and we can chat.

Transfer Costs

When you mention this, I'm not sure if you meant domain transfers or "Is there a cost for you to transfer/setup my site?"  If it's the latter, there is no fee at this time.  Setting up the account is definitely free and will continue to remain that way.  I've always assisted new clients by moving from new hosts free of charge as well, but I can't say this will be doable 100% of the time.  In other words, if you have a huge forum and tons of files, I'll be glad to help you migrate it over, but if you have tons of mailboxes, for example, I can't guarantee that I'll do that part.  I can clarify further if that's not clear.

To date, I think I've moved over most everything for everyone that's requested free of charge.

Extra Fees

Nothing comes to mind at this point.  If you wanted something custom done (design or coding-wise), then that's something that could be discussed.  But from a hosting perspective, that's all we've encountered to date. 

I will say that the offsite backups are meant to be an emergency recovery tool since files have to be manually moved by me.  If this becomes regular for an individual, that would likely need to require some sort of charge, but an occassional file restore if needed is fine.  That's a value-added feature we're providing, so I don't want anyone to rely on it as their only backup plan.  Think of it as a failsafe in case your own, real, backup plan fails.

Great question/post.  I've thought of that from time to time as it comes up through email frequently.  I'll add this to my "site to-do list" to make sure it's covered as soon as possible.

Regards,
Jason

Skhilled

Sounds good. I have 2 domains one I use for my main account and one for a addon/subdomain. The first is a storefront and the 2nd I use for testing betaware and smf for a live site. This is done using smf rc2 (currently), tinyportal, flashchat, coppermine and smfarcade (all alpha or beta versions). I also keep a 2nd test site that I use before adding things to the live site.
Skhilled

Jason

I've always been curious about that smfarcade -- never read any of the threads on it though.  I think I'll pop over and do that now :)

Skhilled

I am one of the arcade support people there. We are doing a lot of good things. We've just come up with a way to play ibp and phpbb flash games on smf.
Skhilled

Jason

Cool, maybe that's what this forum needs to spice things up  :)

Do you have a demo somewhere that doesn't require registration?

Skhilled

I could setup one on my personal site for you. I have a ton of games there.
Skhilled

Jason

Woah, that's nifty -- thanks for the pm. 

I played darts for a few (was horrible at it!).

I'm going to look through it a little more this afternoon if you don't mind.  That's some cool integration!

Skhilled

Thanks! Stop in whenever you'd like. It's basically as site for family and friends who live far apart and either have never met in person or don't get to see each other often enough. But anyone can join.

I'm trying to make it a showcase site for these mods. I just got to get some more themes as well as make some of my own. Most of the themes are Bloc's due to the use of his TinyPortal.
Skhilled

Jason

Well, I had someone else inquire about this so I gave it a quick install/test tonight.

I read that there seemed to be a lot of tweaking needed for RC2, so I installed a stock 1.0.6 test board.  I then installed 1.2.4 of the arcade.  Ran the install.  No issues.

I then added the Games folder and dropped in game pack 8.

After not seeing anything when I ran action=arcade, I saw that I needed to make some tweaks to smf anyway.

So I made a few and I can get the arcade to show up, and can get into the admin.

I've noticed that a lot of the code in the SMFarcade forum for me to use wasn't found in the stock themes templates which I don't understand.  So I'm missing a lot of code edits that are probably necessary.

Also, when I try to install individual games, it routes me to a url on the end of mine.  In other words, it would be like  www.domain.com/smf/arcade/http://www.domain.com/smf/arcade/...  (just a rough example).

The games installed when I took out the first part, but when I run them, nothing loads.

http://www.hostmenow.net/smf/index.php?action=arcade

I'll look over the forum there again when I have a little while to play around.  Do you see offhand any obvious mistakes I've made?

Cheers,
Jason

WSA

Hey Skhilled,

Glad to see you here and looking into Charlottezweb.  I have had absolutely zero problems since coming over here.

Jason,
Skhilled was also on the same exact server and going through the same exact problems as I was prior to moving over here.
Western Slope Anglers - SMF 1.1 RC2 + Tiny Portal v0.8.6 +SMF Arcade + Xarcell's Custom WSA Fishing and Hunting Theme
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you'll never get another day's work out of him again.

Jason

Quote from: WSA on February 06, 2006, 12:49:28 PM
Jason,
Skhilled was also on the same exact server and going through the same exact problems as I was prior to moving over here.

Gotcha. 

I believe he found some sponsored hosting, but if not:  "Definitely let me know if I can be of any help!"

Regards,
Jason

restino

jason,

are the domains $12 yet? whats the costs for transfering them? and creating a set of new ones, say 3-5 new ones?

if we already have domains elsewhere then can we just point them to our new site with you? not sure how this works.

and do you have the extra features price list available yet as well?

do subdomains cost extra?

and, whatever they call it when you host two domain names on one account such as: www.site-a.com and www.site-b.com, is also possible? cost?

thanks!

restino

i forgot to ask about making the domains private, can you do that? cost?

btw, doesnt having your flash button enabled increase the security risk on your site? i was warned about turning it off.

Jason

Quote from: restino on February 18, 2006, 01:29:23 AM
are the domains $12 yet? whats the costs for transfering them? and creating a set of new ones, say 3-5 new ones?

Not on the site, but I'll do it if you email to arrange it.

if we already have domains elsewhere then can we just point them to our new site with you? not sure how this works.

Absolutely.  You don't have to have Charlottezweb manage your domains -- that's just an option if you'd prefer it.

and do you have the extra features price list available yet as well?

No, that is on hold until the new ordering system problems are worked out.  There is another thread somewhere I can find if you want that lists the other feature pricing.

do subdomains cost extra?

No, you have a certain amount included with each package level.

and, whatever they call it when you host two domain names on one account such as: www.site-a.com and www.site-b.com, is also possible? cost?

Same as subdomains above, that's called an "add-on" domain and you have a certain amount with each package level.

Quote from: restino on February 18, 2006, 01:35:31 AM
i forgot to ask about making the domains private, can you do that? cost?

If I register the domain, I believe the current cost to me is $7 to make it private.  Email me if you need this and I'll let you know more specific details.

btw, doesnt having your flash button enabled increase the security risk on your site? i was warned about turning it off.

I haven't had a problem with it on any forums to date, so I haven't disabled it.  You certainly can in the admin center if you wanted.

Regards,
Jason