shopping carts

Started by DVR, February 25, 2006, 01:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVR

jason,

i see there are shopping carts in the fantastico installation. i dont know how the shopping carts work really and had a few questions.

are they free to us?

do we need a secure link? is that a shared secured link or private? what would that cost?

how does it allow us to charge customers? do we need an account set up with a separate company?

can we just hook it into out paypal or is that not safe?

with the ordering system you offer visa/mc through paypal, is that costly?

with the ordering system you also offer 2CO or somthing like that, is that costly?

thanks!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

Quote from: restino on February 25, 2006, 01:25:40 AM
i see there are shopping carts in the fantastico installation. i dont know how the shopping carts work really and had a few questions.

are they free to us?

The ones installable through cpanel are free.  I would recommend researching them first as they all have various features and support communities.

do we need a secure link? is that a shared secured link or private? what would that cost?

If you want to take sensitive data on your site, you would want to install your own certificate.  I can install a shared cert for the server if you want, but from a professional standpoint (and to maintain your branding), you'd want to purchase one.  The cost varies by provider -- anywhere from $25 or so up to thousands depending on what you want.

how does it allow us to charge customers? do we need an account set up with a separate company?

can we just hook it into out paypal or is that not safe?

The methods of payment vary depending on the cart.  You'd have to check with the ones you're considering.  You will need an account with whoever will be your payment processor.

Most of them do support paypal -- I think it's definitely safe.

with the ordering system you offer visa/mc through paypal, is that costly?

with the ordering system you also offer 2CO or somthing like that, is that costly?

Not sure I understand you here.   Paypal is free for you to signup and begin accepting payments.  2Checkout requires you to create an account with them -- I think you have to pay around $50 upfront for your account.  Both providers then charge a processing fee plus a percentage on all sales you process.

DVR

If you want to take sensitive data on your site, you would want to install your own certificate.  I can install a shared cert for the server if you want, but from a professional standpoint (and to maintain your branding), you'd want to purchase one.  The cost varies by provider -- anywhere from $25 or so up to thousands depending on what you want.

thanks for the replies!

could you explain a bit more on what you mean maintain your branding?

and also what the resulting difference between shared verses owned certificates that i would be concerned about?

can you recommend a few 'sellers' so i can review the information?

is that $25 a month or a year? and do you have a page setup for that so i can read it?

DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

I also forgot to add that if you want to install a SSL cert on your domain, you have to be on your own dedicated IP address.  In other words, you'll need to purchase your own IP that's dedicated for your own site instead of being on the shared IP as all accounts are by default. 

The present cost structure is $1/month for your own IP. 

As for your question on branding...if you don't have your own personal cert and decide to use a shared one, it wouldn't be under your domain name.  So if someone was purchasing something through you and the cart directed them to the secured place for processing, the domain would be something like https://cyclone.charlottezweb.com/~youraccount/folder/... 

Obviously that's a little less professional than directing them to https://www.yourdomainname.com/...

I have used GeoTrust for mine but Godaddy also sells them and might have some cheaper costs.  Some of the larger (reputable, yet expensive) providers are Verisign, Thawte, etc...

SSL certs are paid for by the year in advance.  I don't have a page with info on this as I don't provide them directly.  Most of my clients who use them have purchased them on their own and I can help with the install (if needed).  I have purchased/setup some for design clients so I can do this for you if you'd prefer but I'd need the payment in advance.

Thanks,
Jason

DVR

great! thanks - im starting the reading now.

with regards to using paypal:

if we just set it up initially with a paypal link - then isnt that already secured since it transfer to their site? and they still allow credit card payments as well right?

i guess the problem might be getting them over to the paypal site, and back again smoothly.

regarding your $25 shared ssl:

just to clairfy, thats $25 for the year and i wouldnt need my own ip?

what does it verify for us? sorry, im very new at vertificates, so not sure what/how to ask.

lastly, the difference in trying to use paypal directly and your shared ssl would be a presentation issue such as keeping the customer on the same site?

any other glaring differences?

thanks!

Jason

The $25 was just a guess at possible pricing.  I don't provide the certs myself...you would have to buy that from a provider.  If you want to install a cert on your name, you will have to have your own dedicated IP.

Most carts support paypal already. They will direct the person at the point of the sale to their site, then when they're finished, it will bounce them back to your cart.  That's typically the way it works.

Paypal does allow for credit cards, though the user will have to have (or register) for an account there.  That's the problem for some people who don't want to do that.

DVR

I can install a shared cert for the server if you want

did you mean you can install a shared cert that i buy elsewhere or that since you have a certificate then accounts with you can share that?

if so then what would that cost be?

i didnt see shared certs at godaddy so im guessing its off of your account.

Jason

As part of my hosting offering, I advertise a shared Geotrust cert that anyone on the server can use.  As of this moment, there is not one installed on Cyclone.  However, I advertise that and will be glad to purchase and install one if you'd like to use it.  Just let me know.

By "shared" I mean that it's a server cert that any account can use, however, it's not domain specifiic if that matters to you.

Cheers,
Jason

DVR

yeah, thats what i though i saw before. but then i started getting into it and got confused a bit. my plan is to us that but not needed right now though.

if i do progress to where i need it ill let you know.

thanks for the information!

CountryLady

Thanks for providing the details so clearly, Jason.

I learned a lot from this thread as well.
Chance favors the prepared. Come join us at OurCountryHaven.

Jason

Quote from: CountryLady on February 25, 2006, 11:43:21 PM
Thanks for providing the details so clearly, Jason.

I learned a lot from this thread as well.

No problem :)