Members Only Area

Started by Garrett, March 07, 2012, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

How would I make a Members Only Area (with Log-in required) on my website?

I'm not a programmer or anything such as that, so I will need help or need a pre-made script.
Owner and Operator, Garrett's Websites

Jason

It depends on what type of members-only area you want.  You can easily password protect a directory in cPanel  if you are doing this for one or two people but if you want to do something extensive, you should probably look for a script that can manage usernames, passwords, etc.

Garrett

Okay. So, I can password protect a directory.

However, what about usernames? Can I make cPanel ask for a username AND password to enter a directory?

Jason

Yes, but you have to set that up in cPanel.  It's not a complete user management system where people can reset and/or manage their own passwords.  Typically you set it so everyone uses the same username/password.

Garrett

Well, I'll use a script for this one. :)

However, I'd like for it to be like cPanel where it has buttons that they can click on. I'd like for them to be able to view payments and our bi-monthly newsletter in the member panel. They have to pay for it though, $2.50 per year.

Also, I'd like for the script to be free.

Jason

You'll have to search for a script like that online.  My recommendation would be to start with Hotscripts.com.

Garrett

I don't know what to type in.

Jason

You'll have to search for the type of script you need.  It depends on your goals, needs, etc.

To add to this, here's the part of Hotscript's site for PHP Scripts > User Authentication:

http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scripts/php/scripts-programs/user-authentication/

Or, if you're going to be charging people for access, you may want to look for a shopping cart system that has all of that already built in.