Adding another domain?

Started by AverageMom, August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AverageMom

I was wondering if it's possible to buy another domain and share the current disk space & bandwidth I currently have with averagemom.com instead of having a whole other account since I don't use that much space yet?

If so, how does that work in CPanel?

Assuming it's possible, how much trouble is it if later on I want to upgrade it to it's own hosting package?

What is the advantage/disadvantage of doing it this way?

Mark

Quote from: AverageMom on August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PMI was wondering if it's possible to buy another domain and share the current disk space & bandwidth I currently have with averagemom.com instead of having a whole other account since I don't use that much space yet?

Yeah, it's totally possible! Login to cPanel, and down the left side you'll see a spot that says "Addon Domains" and that's how many you can add.

Quote from: AverageMom on August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PMIf so, how does that work in CPanel?

There's a link in your cPanel that says "Addon Domains", click it and go through the steps. Keep in mind you need to point the nameservers for your add-on domain to the same one you're pointing your original domain to first.

Quote from: AverageMom on August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PMAssuming it's possible, how much trouble is it if later on I want to upgrade it to it's own hosting package?

That, you'll have to wait for Jason to reply.

Quote from: AverageMom on August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PMWhat is the advantage/disadvantage of doing it this way?

The advantage is you can have multiple hosted websites on one account. The disadvantage is, it works by using a subdomain of your main domain. So, for example, my main domain is www.kindred.ws and one of my add-on domains is www.somesecretplace.com, which is what you want. However you can also access the add-on domain via www.kindred.ws/ssp/ but as you can see it's broken when accessed that way. That folder isn't listed anywhere on kindred.ws so it's not that big of an issue.

AverageMom

Jason

Quote from: AverageMom on August 18, 2011, 06:14:32 PM
Assuming it's possible, how much trouble is it if later on I want to upgrade it to it's own hosting package?

It's not too difficult but there could be some things to address.

For example, if you run any scripts on it that use server based paths, those will need to be adjusted to reflect the new file locations.  Also, if they use databases, those will need to be created/migrated on the new account.   

If you have email accounts based on that account, those will need to be recreated too.

AverageMom

Thanks Jason, that doesn't sound too bad :)  I think that's probably what I'll do for now :D