"Got error 28 from storage engine"

Started by Jason, September 23, 2005, 09:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Those of you running SMF on Lightning may have seen an error on your forums early this morning. 

Got error 28 from storage engine
File: /home/xxxxx/public_html/yabbse/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1304

This is a disk space error.  In this case, it's related to a temporary folder where cpanel stores data.  It has a set size that it shouldn't exceed.  Unfortunately, sometimes cpanel creates temp files that exceed this allotment.  For example, if you start a cpanel backup of your site and it crashes or times out midway, it's possible the temp file doesn't get properly deleted like it should and that causes that error above in SMF.  I'm not familiar with the php code that causes that, but this error only seems to impact SMF that I've been told. 

This has actually been brought to my attention by a client on Lightning before and we setup a cron job to clear that directory daily.  However, tonight's instance happened after the cron job ran so it became a problem while I was sleeping.  We've since updated the process to run every 4 hours in the event that I'm unreachable. 

Again, to date this only appears to impact SMF forums but since a great deal of you are running those, this is certainly important!  It also is only related to a small temp folder and has no relation to the overall storage capacity of the server itself.

Thank you to those who reported this last night.

Regards,
Jason

tmlfever

Thanks for the update. You are doing a great job Jason... ;D

tmlfever

Jason

marcobarrera

tmlfever

Jason

This will be resolved very quickly.  I apologize because I'd do it myself in a matter of moments but I don't have shell access where I am at the moment.  Hope to have an update within a few minutes.

Regards,
Jason

Jason

They're looking into the box now.  The temporary files have been cleared, but that didn't resolve the problem like it did earlier.  Apache and Mysql are both returning errors now.  I'll keep you posted.

Jason

The files were cleared but cpanel was still holding on to them.  We had to restart cpanel to fully clear it from memory to release the error messages.

Regards,
Jason

Jason

Just to keep everyone posted, I'll be trying to keep an eye on this as we go into the weekend.  My assumption is that everyone backing up accounts in response to my client-wide email suggestion due to the Hurricane.  I think that is what's causing the repetition of this event.  I'll monitor this as much as I can tonight though feel free to email me. I'll set it to wake me tonight just in case.

Thanks for your patience,
Jason