Need Help: "div Hell"

Started by Garrett, February 22, 2015, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

The treasurer for the local county fair contacted me wanting a website and I agreed to do it. I own my own website design business (Garrett's Websites) that is fairly new.

I'm fairly used to doing websites and have designed many of my own websites - so I'm not really a "newbie" to it. But I've always used tables to design my websites. Yes, I know, it is a more out-dated way to design a website, but works pretty well if you know what you're doing and such and have a good layout in mind. But when I met with one of my advisors, he stated that we should use divs on the fair site.

I agreed and started working on a website using divs. I've used divs before - but I've forgot a lot in the year or two since I last used divs to piece together a website. I'm not very fond of them for many reasons; their harder to work with (although more flexible) and sometimes requires you to create individual stylesheets for each page. Also - divs are a worst nightmare for someone viewing the site on a small screen or laptop (well, tables are sometimes too.)

At the point that my advisor recommended divs, I already had a table-based demo put together. The table site ran fantastically and gave me almost no problems. Once I got the div stylesheet and boilerplate-d HTML file together, I started copying stuff from the table demo's homepage to the div homepage. Then the nightmare began.

The header (Home in the screenshot) is not at the top, and neither is the text. I also tried to add margins to the div and it didn't work. It is very hard to read for it that close to the border of the div. And the layout sucks with everything in the middle; a person with OCD would go crazy.  ;) I don't know what to do and my experience in div's are very limited in comparison to my experience in table-based sites.

Also: Is it okay for someone like me (someone who owns their own web design business and markets themselves as an "expert" in web design) to call on help? I see other web designers doing it, so I assume it is okay - I just don't want my reputation to be soiled by asking questions.
Owner and Operator, Garrett's Websites

Jason

Quote from: Garrett on February 22, 2015, 04:13:00 PM
The header (Home in the screenshot) is not at the top, and neither is the text. I also tried to add margins to the div and it didn't work. It is very hard to read for it that close to the border of the div.

If you can attach the code it might help us look at it.

When you mentioned "margins" -- I think you need to be adding padding, not margins.

Also: Is it okay for someone like me (someone who owns their own web design business and markets themselves as an "expert" in web design) to call on help? I see other web designers doing it, so I assume it is okay - I just don't want my reputation to be soiled by asking questions.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help -- that's how you learn.  However, I personally wouldn't market myself as an expert at something unless I truly was.  :)

Cheers,
Jason