SMF (Simple Machines Forum) thread

Started by Jason, September 30, 2003, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

It's RC2 but there might be an RC3 update to it. 

I think I'll do something different or new for the redesign so I haven't looked into it yet.

Jason

SMF 1.1 Final released to the public today...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=131008.0

Simple Machines is extremely proud to announce the release of SMF 1.1 Final.

This release marks the transition of SMF 1.1 into the current stable release of SMF and we encourage all users to upgrade to 1.1 Final as soon as is convenient. For users of SMF 1.1 RC3, this release is a relatively minor change consisting primarily of bug fixes - although we have added a couple of options to help combat the rise in personal message spam. For users of SMF 1.0, the changes between 1.0 and 1.1 are too numerous to list here - but we're sure you will be delighted with the new items on offer.

In summary, the changes/fixes since SMF 1.1 RC3 include:

* Option to require visual verification when sending a personal message
    * Adjusted readability of visual verification system
    * Added option to limit number of personal messages that can be sent per hour
    * Fixed several javascript errors
    * Fixed time offset bug
    * Disallowed multiple failures with visual verification
    * Made several UTF8 fixes
    * Fixed various undefined index errors

Installing/Upgrading information
Upgrading from your current version of SMF to the latest version could not be simpler, just follow the standard procedure of executing upgrade.php.  But, please remember to make a backup!!  The upgrader can be used for any installation from YaBB SE 1.5.5 all the way up to the latest version of SMF.  You can always find information posted in the Online Manual about things like installations, upgrades, and more.

We also invite you to checkout the new Webinstall for even easier upgrading and installing.

Thank You
With this release we'd like to take the opportunity to recognise the effort and dedication of all the people who have volunteered their time to help the Simple Machines project. Over the eighteen months since 1.0 Final we have given our site a face lift, relaunched the Mod Site, launched the Theme Site and added the Online Manual. In addition, our support team has grown and is actively supporting a community of over 60,000 members. So, we'd like to thank everyone, past and present, who has contributed to SMF's development over the past three years. In particular, we'd like to extend special thanks to [Unknown], without whom SMF would never have been possible.  We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Thanks,

Simple Machines

Mark

Security updates to SMF 1.0 and SMF 1.1 have been released.

SMF 1.1.1
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=134971.0

SMF 1.0.10
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=134973.0

You have the option of either manually updating, or the SUPER easy option of just visiting your Admin Center and apply the patch with a couple of clicks. :)

This is a major security update which fixes an issue with the wonderful Internet Explorer we all love, which may allow someone to take advantage of a security hole within Internet Explorer to exploit a forum

Jason

Thanks KP, You beat me (again) to the punch.  :)

CountryLady

Chance favors the prepared. Come join us at OurCountryHaven.

Mark

Quote from: Jason on December 18, 2006, 01:09:19 PM

And I'm not even a team member anymore. ;D

Jason

Quote from: Killer Possum on December 18, 2006, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: Jason on December 18, 2006, 01:09:19 PM

And I'm not even a team member anymore. ;D

They finally got rid of you, eh?

Or did life catch up with you?  :D

Mark

They got rid of me... :'(

j/k nah life has just become beyond hectic. Running a print & design shop during the holiday's is a lot crazier than I thought. Unlike last year when we where new, now that our name is out there we have customers coming in left and right for holiday cards and other misc stuff. And, to add to that, there are still only 2 of us working the print shop!

Jason

Quote from: Killer Possum on December 18, 2006, 01:55:16 PM
j/k nah life has just become beyond hectic. Running a print & design shop during the holiday's is a lot crazier than I thought. Unlike last year when we where new, now that our name is out there we have customers coming in left and right for holiday cards and other misc stuff. And, to add to that, there are still only 2 of us working the print shop!

Well congratulations -- being busy is better than having nothing to do!  (Or so I'm told)  :)

Jason

Simple Machines is proud to announce the release of SMF 1.1.2. Since the release of SMF 1.1 a number of bugs have been found by the community members here and this release should fix all major outstanding bugs in SMF. In addition a couple of security issues were pointed out to us which we have patched in this release. We have also fixed a number of issues with UTF-8 support - including emails being displayed incorrectly in some webmail clients.

In addition to fixes with this release we've also rewritten much of the visual verification (i.e. CAPTCHA) code to allow the admin to set the difficulty of these images as some people were having trouble reading the current images. We'd urge all users to upgrade to SMF 1.1.2 as soon as possible to take advantage of these fixes. A summary of the fixes is as follows:
Fixed a possible injection issue when following a corrupt personal message link. (Reported by Aria Security)
Fixed a potential issue with cached image attachments on Internet Explorer. (Reported by Jessica Hope)
Disallowed the use of 0 sized fonts with the font BBC tag.
Sending a news letter to a email address with a quote in it would fail.
Fixed a bug in PCRE causing regular expressions to fail in UTF-8 mode.
Fixed package manager not uninstalling mods using the "end" search method correctly.
Fixed a couple of bugs related to quick edit in a topic.
Added setting for toggling difficulty of visual verification image.
Fixed javascript bug when adding a poll to a topic.
Fixed bug which meant merging topics would not always work.
Fixed bug causing an error when deleting a board in certain circumstances.
Changed permissions so users with the manage_permission permission cannot promote themselves above this.
Added work around for people upgrading to a sha1 supporting PHP version which was invalidating user passwords.
Fixed undefined index bug when including SSI from the forum.
Fixed path being incorrect in package manager.
Fixed password reminder not checking password strength.
Restricted display name to only sixty characters.
Worked around issues with emails not being displayed correctly on all webmail clients.

For users currently running SMF 1.1.1 upgrading could not be easier. Simply log into your forum and visit your admin center - a notice should inform you an update is available. Follow the instructions to patch your release - this should not generally affect any modifications, language packs or themes you have installed. Alternatively download the attached patch file and upload to your "Packages" directory and visit the package manager to install this fix. Note that due to the visual verification changes if you currently have a CAPTCHA modification installed you may need to uninstall this mod to upgrade.

If you cannot upgrade using the package manager please follow the instructions posted in the Online Manual about installing and upgrading.

Finally - please do not use this topic for any support requests. You will get a much prompter response by visiting the relevant support board!

Thanks,

Simple Machines

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." in your profile.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=149553.0

Regards,
The Simple Machines Community Forum Team.

Mark

Over on Simple Machines they posted a nice little teaser for SMF 2.0 if anyone is interested. :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163438.0

Jason

Looks exciting.  I posted in that thread but my concern is with the addition of a wysiwyg editor.  Maybe my fears are unfounded but unless it ran strictly client-side, I'd be interested in what sort of resource usage that will cause for large/active forums.