account backup process

Started by DVR, March 09, 2006, 10:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVR

jason,

can you explain your backup procedures and times as well as explain what it would allow us to retrieve if we had problems with our own account or if you had a server crash for example?

thanks!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

Nightly, weekly and monthly backups are done locally (from one hard drive to another within each server).  They typically run shortly after midnight EST.

Once a week, offsite backups are run to entirely separate servers. 

All your files, dbs, and many configurations are kept.  cPanel has its own backup system that handles all of this.

If a server crashed, the OS would first have to be restored of course, but account files could be quickly rsync'ed back (or moved from one drive to another) to get things rolling again as soon as possible.

DVR

if we had a problem with our own files/account then what can be restored? specific files, the entire account, etc?

how would this process work in terms of requesting it or getting it done? i assume we dont do it ourselves via cpanel.

thanks!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

Correct.  It has to be manually done by me.

It's more of an insurance policy than something to be relied upon.  It's not guaranteed in other words.

If you mess up a file for example, I'll help but we'd prefer to avoid full restorations. 

ALWAYS backup your files whenever you change things.  :) 

DVR

i understand and do that for sure.

for clarification, you can restore a single file, or maybe a single database if needed?

Jason

Quote from: restino on March 09, 2006, 11:26:13 PM
for clarification, you can restore a single file, or maybe a single database if needed?

Correct, I could retrieve them for you based upon when you need the last copy to be pulled from (nightly/weekly/monthly).

DVR

well you cant ask for any more then that!

that is a very valuable service if we ever needed it. it sure makes me feel safer.

thanks!

Jason

Quote from: restino on March 10, 2006, 09:55:55 AM
it sure makes me feel safer.

You think it makes you feel safer?  I don't want to have hundreds of angry clients if some sort of catastrophe occurred in one of the datacenters!  :D

Mark

Right, if you didn't have backups we may just hunt you down :P ;D