Chat

Started by Knu, April 21, 2006, 08:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knu

From Charlottezweb AUP:

QuoteIRC networks: It is absolutely forbidden to host an IRC server that is part of or connected to another IRC network or server. Servers found to be connecting to or part of these networks will be immediately removed from our network without notice. The server will not be reconnected to the network until such time that you agree to completely remove any and all traces of the irc server, and agree to let us have access to your server to confirm that the content has been completely removed. Any server guilty of a second violation will result in immediate account termination.

I'd just like to clarify what is allowed. I don't understand the technicalities of chat facilities (they bore me silly, so I've never made any real investigation of them), so forgive the newbie questions.

1) Am I allowed to host a private chat service for my own SMF membership? - I understand chat services can be a drain on resources. If I am allowed, is there free (or cheap) software that you would recommend.

2) At the moment, I use a remote chat service (remotely hosted) and intergrated into my SMF forum, and membership list. I assume this is OK?

Thanks.

Jason

1)  Yes, you can host a private chat service but ultimately, resource usage is going to depend on the script and how many users you have in it simultaneously.  There's a flash-based chat script called FlashChat that many people use with SMF.  It's $5.  So far I haven't seen any issues with it, but if you had a large crowd it could be possible.

http://www.tufat.com/script2.htm

It integrates directly into SMF pretty easily.

2)  Anything remote shouldn't be an issue. 

The part from the AUP regarding IRC servers is adopted directly from the datacenter's AUP.  I mainly want to distance my services from the often negative association that some people have with IRC and the activities that potentially can go on there.  I certainly don't want to make sweeping judgements but I'd prefer to error on the side of caution.  :)

Thanks for asking!

Regards,
Jason

Knu

Thanks for the speedy reply.