Main Menu

Wordpress

Started by Richard, March 05, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Hello all,

One of my websites is old and boring.  It does have an up to date SMF forum though.

I am considering using a Wordpress website to up date it.  A couple of questions:

Can I set up the new website at something like www.domain.com/test until I am happy with it and then "move" it to www.domain.com?  How would I do this?

Does Wordpress and SMF go together?

How good is WP anyway?  I have looked at Joomla! but (to me!) it is way too complex....

Thanks!

Richard.

Jason

Quote from: Richard on March 05, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
Can I set up the new website at something like www.domain.com/test until I am happy with it and then "move" it to www.domain.com?  How would I do this?

You can definitely do that but there are some changes you'll need to make to WordPress afterwards for it to work in the new location.  There are places throughout the code and database that will have to be adjusted to account for the different folder.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Does Wordpress and SMF go together?

There are some plugins I've found that integrate parts of them but I've not tried any.  Some of the ones I just looked up appear to be a year or two old so I'm not sure what confidence I have in them.

WordPress at its core was built as a blogging software however many of us use it as an overall site framework.  In this situation, I don't know that I'd get a lot of value integrating the two systems from a database/login perspective since I likely wouldn't have my forum users doing anything with WordPress itself.

You could build a WordPress site and have menu options that take you to your forum of course. 

How good is WP anyway?  I have looked at Joomla! but (to me!) it is way too complex....

This is my personal opinion but I have used it for several years now and am pretty happy with it.  I moved all of my Joomla sites to it a long time ago. This is my opinion but I like the way it handles everything better and I feel like it's typically more stable and definitely easier to upgrade.   WordPress itself tends to be very solid and secure though there are lots of plugins out there and if you're not careful, they can end up causing issues. 

WordPress releases upgrades/updates quite often and the good news is they can be run with just a few clicks.  I'm not sure how Joomla is these days but it used to be a serious pain to upgrade it and they constantly release security fixes that if you don't stay current with can be a risk to your site and the server.

Richard

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.  You are right: there might not be a real need for users to login to WP, so I don't need to bridge to it if it is a problem.

Is WP as a website available on Fantastico De Luxe?  I can only see it as a blog.  Sorry for the stupid question, but is it different?

I should have said I'm also considering using a Coopermine gallery too, and this I would need to bridge to SMF.  Google tells me I can do this .

Thanks again.

Richard.

Jason

Quote from: Richard on March 05, 2013, 10:59:54 AM
Is WP as a website available on Fantastico De Luxe?  I can only see it as a blog.  Sorry for the stupid question, but is it different?

They are one and the same.  WordPress is a blog however on my sites, I don't use any of the blogging functions of it.  Many people use it as a CMS system for how robust, yet simple, it is.

I should have said I'm also considering using a Coopermine gallery too, and this I would need to bridge to SMF.  Google tells me I can do this .

I haven't done it in awhile but I've definitely done it in the past.  Looks like Coppermine still supports it:

http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/bridging.htm

Richard

Thanks!

This is interesting and has made me think of this:

Is it possible to take a WP blog which is hosted by WP and move the content over to a WP blog on my own hosting?

I'm thinking of moving the contents of my wife's blog from from here: http://lindamphotos.wordpress.com/ to a WP blog hosted in my hosting space......?

Jason

I'm pretty sure they allow you to export your content (text-wise) to take it with you.  If you have images and things hosted with them, I'm not sure how that works. 

http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/

dania

Is it done, if not?

Tools -> export. -> save the xml,

When your ready to export just pick up the saved xml.

:)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Richard

Thanks, but as my wife's blog is photo-heavy I really need to be able to move the photos over too some how.