Google's new European cookie law policy

Started by Steve, September 28, 2015, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Hi! Does anybody help with a mod for SMF Forum in order to comply with the new european cookie law policy?

Google says: even if you're not EU based, you have to be compliant with the new European user consent policy.  Deadline: 30th September
Google has just sent an email to announce that it is updating its AdSense user consent policy to comply with requests from European Union data protection authorities:
Dear Publisher,
We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users' consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers, and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.
Please review our new EU user consent policy as soon as possible. This requires that you obtain EU end users' consent to the storing and accessing of cookies and other information, and to the data collection, sharing, and usage that takes place when you use Google products. It does not affect any provisions on data ownership in your contract.
Please ensure that you comply with this policy as soon as possible, and not later than 30th September 2015.
If your site or app does not have a compliant consent mechanism, you should implement one now. To make this process easier for you, we have compiled some helpful resources at cookiechoices.org.
This policy change is being made in response to best practice and regulatory requirements issued by the European data protection authorities. These requirements are reflected in changes recently made on Google's own websites.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Regards,
The Google Policy Team

Jason

Hi Steve,

Interesting question -- Thanks for raising awareness.

I see there's a mod that sort of addresses it although it doesn't appear it fully covers it.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3693

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=504082.0

I'm going to have to keep reading into it.

Regards,
Jason

Steve

Hi Jason,

Yes, i saw this mod but i doubt if it can fulfill Google's requirements. It's a shame that the SMF team haven't prepared an update or a mod about it.

Jason

I wonder if this would do the trick?  Looks like it gives you multiple options and can be customized:

https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-consent/download/

Steve

This is interesting! Does it applies to SMF forums?
It says: Just before the </head> tag, add the following code
Which file? Index.template?

Jason

Yes, I'd start by adding it after the <head> tag in index.template.php and see if that works.

Steve

Steve

Is this policy applies to my forum? I mean that my page is hosted by a US company,. Do i fall into that category?

Jason

Quote from: Steve on September 30, 2015, 03:04:30 PM
Nope ... it gives me a blank page ...

I might need to see the code you're adding and how.  Would you like to arrange for me to try to do this for you?

Quote from: Steve on September 30, 2015, 03:10:28 PM
Is this policy applies to my forum? I mean that my page is hosted by a US company,. Do i fall into that category?

Based upon how I read what you posted above, they are saying that in order to have compliance for EU visitors to your site for AdSense, it wouldn't matter where the site itself its hosted.  I'm reading it to mean that if you use AdSense you'd need to comply with that.  I suspect this means forums for other countries will also need to make this change if they use Google's ads and have their sites accessible to visitors from Europe.

Steve

Hi Jason, i don't think that this code applies to smf forums ...
I just copy - paste it under the <head> tag ...

You are right ... as long they issue invoice to me that i stay in EU, i must comply.

Jason

The code isn't specifically for SMF but it should be possible to embed it I would imagine.  It might need to be added in there a specific way though for php to handle it properly.  Also, things like spaces or certain characters can break SMF's template so we may need to play with it.

If you want to email me the code you're using, I can try it on one of my forums to see if I can get it to work.