IE8 Beta 1 Is Available and it Rocks!

Started by Mark, March 06, 2008, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Has anyone tried the new Beta for IE8? If not, I suggest you try it right away! It has had a major performance boost and has lots of cool new features. I used to be all about Firefox until IE7 came out, which was good but was kind of slow for things like using the TinyMCE editor (as seen on/in GameSpot website, Joomla, Mambo, etc.) so it was kind of a pain. But now, IE8's performance and rendering speeds makes that a thing of the past.

And, to add, I've been using it for a couple of days and it's been suprisingly stable considering it's a beta from Microsoft. :P

Anyways, get it from the IE8 website www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/default.mspx

The only problem is, IE8's new rendering engine is so accurate (it actually passes the Acid2 test) that when it pulls down the "IE CSS hacks" most websites use they break the design of the page. So you have to put it in IE7 Emulation mode for general browsing which is as simple as a click of a button.

Jason

I installed it a little bit ago today.  Seems a bit faster maybe though I had to switch to IE7 emulation like you mentioned above.  My main site won't even load otherwise.  Great...another thing to fix one day :)

I think I'm still in favor of the fox over this but we'll see if it grows on me. 

dania

Glad you both like it..

..me? an IE6 for like eva...or as long as possible.

Designers hate people like me, did you know that?

;D ;D
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Mark

dania

;D ;D

Not tto worry my son keeps the pressure going to put on Vista so it will come KP. Thing is I like my Outlook Express lmaoooooooooo and you can't have that with Vista.

Sooooooo  :P :P
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

mcooper06

Has anyone used the 'webslice' feature yet?

I am concerned about it as it relates to bandwidth usage.  I understand a user will be able to highlight a section of a webpage and the browser will periodically monitor the site to see when the content is updated (like an RSS feed).

The question is, doesn't this mean that sites that are monitored will see some (potentially huge) bandwidth hit from all the phantom traffic monitoring the site??

Me no likey that idea.

Jason

Hmm.  Your assumption seems logical that something (either the end user's browser or a remote service which seems less likely) must hit that page at some sort of interval to check.  It probably wouldn't amount to much for a single user but that concept could potentially be different if a large group of pc's were set to do the same.

Mark

I haven't tried it, but my first question would be, does it only update text or the whole page (images and everything)? If it's just text I would imagine you would only see a very little increase in bandwidth if that.