hosting mutliple sites one one plan while small

Started by DVR, February 19, 2006, 11:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVR

jason,

what are parked domains? does that mean we can point any of our domain names we have registered elsewhere to an account hosted by you?

im not sure how this works, but if i had an account on your host and i wanted separate websites created there then how would this be done? im gussing thats what parked domains mean.

so when a websurfer types in site-A domain name it doesnt show anything else but the site i pointed it to? and same with site-B, etc? can the user find out that there are 5 sites on the same account?

basically, what im thinking of doing is using one plan to host several new sites and ideas. makes it easier to deal with on the same host, same account im thinking. then as they get larger move them off to their own plan and seprate them like normal. what do you suggest on how to do this?

is there problems associatied with doing this? does the end user know the difference some how?

thanks!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

Quote from: restino on February 19, 2006, 11:35:21 AM
jason,

what are parked domains? does that mean we can point any of our domain names we have registered elsewhere to an account hosted by you?

Parked domains point directly to the master account.  You can manage them within your cPanel.

im not sure how this works, but if i had an account on your host and i wanted separate websites created there then how would this be done? im gussing thats what parked domains mean.

so when a websurfer types in site-A domain name it doesnt show anything else but the site i pointed it to? and same with site-B, etc? can the user find out that there are 5 sites on the same account?

That's called an "add-on" domain, not a parked domain.  That does what you're describing.

basically, what im thinking of doing is using one plan to host several new sites and ideas. makes it easier to deal with on the same host, same account im thinking. then as they get larger move them off to their own plan and seprate them like normal. what do you suggest on how to do this?

is there problems associatied with doing this? does the end user know the difference some how?

As long as you're within your account limits, that would work,  You can control that within cPanel as well.  :)

DVR

alrighty, thanks.

so when a user types in site-A or site-B they see totally different websites? and no way to see the other websites unless they knew the names?

also, if i created smf forums for each site then wouldnt that conflict in the same database somehow? or do i just set it up with a different db name?

lastly, when i do this idea, how are the files stored for each website? does each add-on get its own home area?

thanks!
DirecTV Tivo HD DVR Receivers & Hard Drive Upgrade Kits: HR22 HR21 HR20 HR10-250 www.DVRPOWER.com

Jason

Yes and when you create an add-on, a new folder is created and you have to put that site's files within that folder.

You would want to setup separate databases for any scripts you want running independently.

DVR

would that mean that i can access each add-on domain accoutns files via the same ftp session? or would there have to be separate logins to transfer files around each add-on domain 'site'.

im just trying to see the disadvantage of doing it this way. since the sites are all new im not worried about bw and storage. i can change later if need be. but does access to an add-on domain cause problems for the other sites, etc? i dont know what to ask since i dont know how it works.

also, i cant really see any problems so far. i really happpy about all you do and attention you give your business. ive looked and looked but cant find anything bad yet lol. and switching from lypha-crap-hosting to a host that gets it dont right will be a relief! lol

besides, you did say you even give a pro-rated refund after completing the month out if we had problems. im sure going to be happy to give you a try!

i see they are calling them multi-domains, im guessing thats the same as add-on domains? how is email handled for each add-on domain?

what is the cost of add-on domains? i cant find it on your features list yet.

Jason

Quote from: restino on February 19, 2006, 01:14:15 PM
would that mean that i can access each add-on domain accoutns files via the same ftp session? or would there have to be separate logins to transfer files around each add-on domain 'site'.

Both.  It will create a separate login you can use for just that folder, or you can use the main ftp account to access everything.

im just trying to see the disadvantage of doing it this way. since the sites are all new im not worried about bw and storage. i can change later if need be. but does access to an add-on domain cause problems for the other sites, etc? i dont know what to ask since i dont know how it works.

You will only have one cPanel account.  Also, if you do move them to separate accounts, you'll have to tweak the databases and config files a little since your databases will be named after your present account.  Once you get them on a new account, you'll have to restore to a new database and then adjust your config (connection) files accordingly.  You might also have some issues with some scripts when it comes to paths, but that shouldn't be too hard to overcome.

also, i cant really see any problems so far. i really happpy about all you do and attention you give your business. ive looked and looked but cant find anything bad yet lol. and switching from lypha-crap-hosting to a host that gets it dont right will be a relief! lol

besides, you did say you even give a pro-rated refund after completing the month out if we had problems. im sure going to be happy to give you a try!

Yep, thanks!

i see they are calling them multi-domains, im guessing thats the same as add-on domains? how is email handled for each add-on domain?

what is the cost of add-on domains? i cant find it on your features list yet.

I don't know what your other host calls them.

You can pick which domain to use when setting up email accounts if you have multiple domains parked.

Add-on domains are included with each account.  The number is usually equal to the number of parked domains.

Cheers,
Jason

The Librarian

thanks for directing me here Jason but I am still a little clueless as to what it would actually look like in cpanel

currently now I go to cpanel for my account and if I look in file manager everything there is for my one domain.  If I had another domain, what would this look like?

I would really hate to mess this up :(
The Librarian

Jason

First of all, I'd recommend against using cpanel's file manager, but that's another conversation.  ;D

But to answer your question, it depends on which path you take.

If you park a domain, it just points to your present structure so nothing would change from that perspective.  However, if you added a subdomain or an addon domain, a new folder would be created in your public_html folder with whatever name you specify during the creation.  You would then put whatever files for that site into that specific folder.

edit:  fixed spelling

Powerbob

Wow great, this has saved me the job of asking the same questions ;D addon domains it is then  :D

How do I go about having this feature enabled for my account?

Powerbob
It's nice to be nice

Jason

Quote from: Powerbob on June 21, 2006, 07:31:15 AM
Wow great, this has saved me the job of asking the same questions ;D addon domains it is then  :D

How do I go about having this feature enabled for my account?

:)  The joy of forums!  I have a list of topics I want to document here when I get some time to answer common questions like ones around parked/addon's/subdomains. 

You should have it enabled already.  The amount of domains you can add depends on what hosting package you're on.  You can see your allotment in cpanel or here:

http://www.charlottezweb.com/allplans.html

Cheers,
Jason

Powerbob

OK, got the addon site set up  :D but can't install smf, getting the permissions thingy that came up on main site. Can u change, whatever it was you did for ofbboard do for the addon as well please.

Thanks in advance

Powerbob
It's nice to be nice

Jason

Quote from: Powerbob on June 22, 2006, 06:57:07 AM
OK, got the addon site set up  :D but can't install smf, getting the permissions thingy that came up on main site. Can u change, whatever it was you did for ofbboard do for the addon as well please.

Can you post (or email) me a link so I can see the error message?

Thanks

Powerbob

Thanks  for solving the problem Jason, this is why I like and would allways reccomend charlottezweb, your service!
It's top ;)

Powerbob
It's nice to be nice

Jason

The Librarian

hello, I'm revisiting this again as I want to set up another site with a different domain name to my current one.

So I guess I have two options.

One - go buy another domain name and then I'm guessing I need to go to cpanel and look at 'manage add-on domains'???

If so, then I looked in there and I'm not sure what all this means:

QuoteCurrent Addon Domains

New Domain Name:
Username/directory/subdomain Name:
Password:

ADD DOMAIN button

Hint: This feature must be enabled for your account before you can use it. Addon Domains will not be functional unless the domain name is registered with a valid registrar and configured to point to our DNS servers.

SET UP REDIRECTION button
REMOVE REDIRECTION button

Remove Addon Domain    DELETE DOMAIN button

I know this is probably straightforward but I live in fear of messing up my existing site  :D

-------------------

OR

Two - create a subdomain which would be something like

http://www.mynewsubdomain.mysite.com

Is that how it works?  and that would be free?

How does a subdomain look in cpanel?  Everything I have is in public_html, so would this then be in a folder with the name of the subdomain?  Could I install a forum into that using fantastico (as that's the only way I really know how to do it)

The Librarian