CGI Ability

Started by Garrett, February 04, 2012, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

I just have a question. I was here before but didn't want paid hosting for my application, now I may need it again! Plus, its been exactly 1 year since I had paid hosting!

But I was wondering if CharlottezWeb had the ability to host CGI files for a Discussion Forum (see requirements page link below)

Also, does the Standard Package meet the required settings for this Forum software?
Owner and Operator, Garrett's Websites

Jason

Howdy, good to see you here -- Thanks for the inquiry!

I'll check tomorrow  -- offhand I don't see a problem but I would think there are more efficient forum packages available that don't use cgi.

Have you looked at other options or is this something specific you need?

Cheers,
Jason

Garrett

I've been using SMF and it can sort of get boring, I mean I like SMF but I'd like to try something new.

Jason

Ok, thanks -- I'll check tomorrow.

I would think cgi-based forums would be slower but we can see.

Jason

In looking at the "Basic Requirements" I don't see any issues.

Some of the more custom things may or may not be doable -- we'd have to see. For example, opening any non-custom firewall ports for communication with their servers.

I'd still lean more towards a php solution but we could try it out and see how things go. 

Thanks,
Jason

Garrett

Okay. I'd like the $5 Special Package and we can upgrade when we need to.

I'd have a domain and a subdomain. Maybe more subdomains.

On the domain, I'll have a HTML Coded website, SMF Forum, and a Blog.

On the Subdomain, I'll have the DiscusWare, which is that CGI Forum, and also on the Subdomain I'll have a HTML Coded Website.

On both the domain and subdomain, I'll have PDF Files, Images, and other Documents.

So, will I have enough space for all these? Will I also have a spare MySQL database? (my math calculates I'll have 2 used, because that CGI Forum shouldn't use a MySQL Database, right? The SMF Forum and Blog will use a MySQL database each)

Garrett

Also, forgot to ask, but where did you get the smilies? Because I like them and I'd like to use them on my current and future SMF Forum!

Jason

Quote from: longhorn on February 12, 2012, 09:03:15 PM
So, will I have enough space for all these? Will I also have a spare MySQL database? (my math calculates I'll have 2 used, because that CGI Forum shouldn't use a MySQL Database, right? The SMF Forum and Blog will use a MySQL database each)

That depends on the size of the files. 

Yes, if you use a forum that uses cgi and not mysql then that would be one less db.  Also, you can have multiple scripts sharing one db if you want.

Quote from: longhorn on February 12, 2012, 09:04:30 PM
Also, forgot to ask, but where did you get the smilies? Because I like them and I'd like to use them on my current and future SMF Forum!

Honestly I'm not quite sure.  I bet I downloaded those 8+ years ago.  I could try to track them down if you'd like.

Garrett

QuoteHonestly I'm not quite sure.  I bet I downloaded those 8+ years ago.  I could try to track them down if you'd like.

Sure. I'd like to use them on my current and future SMF forums!

Garrett

Currently I'm going to test out that CGI Forum on a free host called HelioHost. It claims to have everything for free, but all I'm going to use it for is some temporary CGI Forum hosting. And it only gives you 500MB, but for what I'm using it for, that is way toooooooooooo much!

http://www.heliohost.org/home/