Outlook 2010 --- very early (and lite) review

Started by Jason, June 16, 2010, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I switched after WAY too long to Outlook 2007 about six months ago when I built my latest computer.  It came with a free upgrade to 2010 upon release which was yesterday.  Out of curiosity, I backed up (ALWAYS BACKUP!!!) and installed Outlook 2010 on Day 1.  Normally, I never adopt new software on day 1 but I knew I could revert easily if needed and AGAIN, I backed up.  :D

I gotta say, so far I haven't had any issues worth reporting.  There's a lot of new cool stuff too.

I have a good bit of playing left before I'm totally up to speed on all the new features but I have to say that so far I'm digging it.  For someone who spends probably 3-4 hours minimum a day writing emails, it's looking good.

It definitely follows the Office 2007-ish "ribbon" layout in some ways.  I'm not very experienced with that since I abandoned Microsoft Office for Open Office but for a standalone program, it's nothing tricky.   The layout is visually pleasing and there are great simplifications of some common tasks.

Anyway, enough for now.  I may update later.   :)

Anyway, for the pricetag, I'm liking it.  I'll update this thread if I get some time after I play with it more.

akheir

What features does it have (that you use) that SeaMonkey with Lightning calendar does not?

Just curious, as I use a CMS for complex client contacts, but have never found that I needed more than the basic for email.
Plan
Promote
Profit

Kheir Consulting
http://www.kheirconsulting.com

Jason

Quote from: akheir on June 16, 2010, 08:20:07 PM
What features does it have (that you use) that SeaMonkey with Lightning calendar does not?

That would require me knowing what both of those offer  :D

I'll see if I can cross compare but remember that I'm on day 2 now  ;)

Mark

We've had it at our office for about a month now (MAPS subscriber). I use my Mac at work so I don't have Outlook but on the machines I've installed it on it seems pretty nice, and I've had no complaints yet.

The only bad thing I can say (again, haven't really used it much) it seems like there's just a whole lot of information in your face all the time. I guess if you schedule calendar events, setup tasks, and e-mail a lot I can see how it'd be really useful. But as someone who's a basic user I think it would be overwhelming. But again, I don't use it regularly, so I can't say for sure.

Jason

Quote from: Mark on June 16, 2010, 10:46:20 PM
The only bad thing I can say (again, haven't really used it much) it seems like there's just a whole lot of information in your face all the time. I guess if you schedule calendar events, setup tasks, and e-mail a lot I can see how it'd be really useful. But as someone who's a basic user I think it would be overwhelming. But again, I don't use it regularly, so I can't say for sure.

Can't argue with that -- there's definitely new stuff built into the main view.  You can turn off or minimize most of it if you want.  Some of it is a bit bloaty whereas other parts are nice to have. 

I didn't install that Business Contact Manager addon (or whatever it's called) as that would've really made it a different program but I kinda see where they're trying to go with it.  They're shaping it as more of a business tool than just email.

Mark

BCM is nice, our sales associates use it a lot. Really useful for them.

Quote from: Jason on June 17, 2010, 08:30:18 AMCan't argue with that -- there's definitely new stuff built into the main view.  You can turn off or minimize most of it if you want.  Some of it is a bit bloaty whereas other parts are nice to have.

Oh, I didn't realize you could do that. Well then, it's not such a big issue. :)