Netflix on-demand movies

Started by Jason, February 27, 2008, 11:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I have to say, I was a bit skeptical but the "instant" movies on netflix are pretty impressive.  I used blockbuster online for almost a year before cancelling a few months back.  I signed up for Netflix today and have watched parts of a few movies online tonight. 

The engine loads very quickly, doesn't hesitate between resizing or moving of the window, it pauses/resumes quickly, it allows dragging to any point in the movie and is pretty decent quality for what it is --

Unlimited viewing with most plans is a NICE feature.  I'm impressed.

Mark

HAHA, another one! :D

I actually cancelled my cable TV (just get the basic channels now like ABC, NBC, etc.) and bought an S-Video and audio cable for my laptop so I can hook it up to my TV because my Fiancee and I are addicted to instant watch.

I've been using the Instant Watch since the day it came out and it's always been flawless and problem free. Extremely dependable. And because I have an 8 meg connection I always get the highest quality.

PM me the email you used to sign up so I can add you to my friends list if you want. Or I can send you my email. :)

Jason

PM sent.

I've been watching a movie the last hour.  I have a 24" monitor but I'm thinking of plugging in an old 15" flat panel I have so that I can stream movies to it while I work on my 24.  :)

Mark

I did that for awhile but my computer, for whatever reason, doesn't like to play video very well on my second monitor. Any video on my second monitor, not just Netflix, gets choppy if I'm browsing or working on the main monitor.

Mark

Jason, have you looked into the new Netflix device that lets you watch the instant watch movies on your TV without a computer?

I'm tempted to get one, like I said I currently use an S-Video cable to connect my laptop but the quality isn't there. This device let's you watch in upscaled HD (unfortunately no true HD available yet) which is pretty neat!

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

Jason

I read about that in a few places but didn't know it was yet available?

I see it has built-in wireless too?  That was the only thing holding me back.

I'll probably order one in the next day or so -- totally worth a one-time $100 to be able to watch moview on demand like that.

Jason

The only small complaint I have is that you have to have the movie in your queue for it to be viewable on the tv.  It's not a huge deal but it would be cool if you could browse from the tv/remote.  I guess that would make the process much more elaborate (and slow) so it may be for the best. 

Mark

Yeah that was the only complaint I had too. I'm probably going to order one in a week or two as well, after I finish my busy Spring to do list and have time to actually use it.

Jason

Just ordered mine -- even better, they take paypal :D

Mark

I ordered mine today, but due to high demand it may not ship for approximately 2 weeks! :(

Jason

Quote from: Killer Possum on June 09, 2008, 04:32:03 PM
I ordered mine today, but due to high demand it may not ship for approximately 2 weeks! :(

Same message I got when I ordered mine :)

Jason

Haha, the coincidence!  I got my shipping email just now.  :)

Mark

Jason

Update:  I received my roku netflix box on Saturday.  Painless installation using wireless.

I've got to say, I'm WAY more impressed than I counted on.   I figured the quality would be about what it is on my pc when I view instant movies that way but it's WAY better.  Maybe because the tv requires a lower resolution?  Who knows but I've watched/tested on about 5-10 movies over the weekend and they were basically very near dvd quality.  The only complaint for a few of them were due to very low volumes but that was just for some.

For the cost, this thing is really cool!  Now netflix just needs to add a ton more movies!

Mark

I was wondering when you where going to let me know about your experience with it. :P

As for the sound volume, I've run into that on the PC too and it's probably on Netflix's end and not the player.